i need to know what lift kit i need, and... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i need to know what lift kit i need, and...

monson

Reaction score
alright, i have a 92 xplorer and i am ready to lift it, all i want is to beable to fit 32" tires under it with little or no rubbing, i was looking at the 2.5" james duff lift and the rancho 2.5" lift, is this enough lift to fit 32's?, even though the rancho is a bit more $$$, to me it looks like the better buy cause it replaces more and comes with more, any opinions on this or another lift would be great (is there any 3" lifts)?.........also i was wondering about how much new gears cost and if i would need them i was thinking 4:10 but i dont know a hole lot about this sort of stuff, (i dont really want a body either).......so i guess my main question is what do i need to fit 32's?

[i do not do allot of off roading this why i dont want to go with a 4" lift or bigger, yet anyway, will i maintain fair gas mileage with larger tires?
will my explorer start to fall apart in a few years,(this still has to go through a year of high school and about 6 years of college)]

thanx for all of your help, this page has been great

I have the Rancho lift and just put on a set of 32" BFG AT KO's yesterday.

No problems with clearance in the back, slight rub on the right front. I had to trim the outside flanges of the radius arms a little bit to clear the front tires at full turn and compression. I doubt that will hurt the structural integrity of the radius arm.

I have not had any problems on my lift kit since installation (3+ yrs). The other bonus with the Rancho lift kit is if you decide to go bigger later on, you can do some mods to it to go bigger as one owner has done (longer coils, spring over, etc.).

Speaking about gearing, you definitely have to regear if you want to run 32s. The cost for the gears could run anywhere from $500 and up, installation cost could be another $500. Go at least 4.10 for 32" tires.

Larger tires will definitely lower your gas mileage but there are other enhancements that you can do to get some of that mileage back, mainly cat-back exhaust, headers, air filter/air induction, easy on the pedal, etc.

[This message has been edited by kvo (edited 11-10-1999).]

Back