I want to build my own hood scoop

Abominous95XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Salem MA or Troy NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I decided I dont want to pay 450 for a hood scoop. My plan is:
Go to junkyard, purchase hood that will fit my 95, there are many. I dont care about the color im going to repaint.
Buy any hood scoop online, i was looking at these today
JCW hood scoops

Make good measurements and cut the hood, I think I can plasma cut the metal. If not skillsaw.
Paint it up as best i can to match the rest of the truck

I have a few concerns.
Will cutting up the hood weaken it structurally, do I need to reinforce.
Do I need to build anything to keep rain out of the engine or should it just be whole

Im not going to be able to start on this project until the snow melts and I can get into a junk yard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PM Alec, he has bought a premade scoop and has plans to mold it in his hood as far as I know.

Check ebay for cheap fiberglass scoops, I got one for $40, haven't put it in though. You wouldn't need a plasma cutter for cutting either. It's thin enough anything from a cut off wheel to a skill saw will cut it fine.

I'm about to do that. I'm going to cut one large hole and put the scoop in from underneath. This will keep the hood rigid with the scoop providing support. If you're going from the top, I recommend keeping the structural crossbars in the hood and cutting around them. I'm then going to smooth the scoop into the hood and install a fine mesh in the opening to trap most water and debris. I'm doing mine for heat extraction, not intake, so proper airflow isn't critical.

Have you all thought about using the scoops from a 1987-1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo coupe. The NASA ducts would allow for cooling and possible a Ram Air setup (if you had the Thunderbird's under hood duct). The scoops are recessed so there would be no budge in the hood to see around. I always wondered in you could use the Tbird's intercooler and scoops (with the Tbird's ductwork) with the BBK Supercharger. I see these all the time on Ebay and they are relatively cheap ($20-$50). Just a thought. :eek:

Back