Idle air Control valve question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Idle air Control valve question

Bugmanovski

Reaction score
City, State
Jönköping
Year, Model & Trim Level
Cleaned my iac today and notised i stays open. Not much about 2-3 millimeters but should it not be closed? Anyone know how a good working iac should be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you having idle issues?
Your computer adjusts the opening to allow more, or less air thru it. Depends on what your vehicle requires to run at the preset idle speed.

The problem I have is slightly rough idle and when the engine is warm and I cruising in highway speed and try to accelerate it misfires. It was a big problem at first when I noticed vacuum to egr solenoid was disconnected and one of the tubes pluged. I have fixed that (don't know why previous owner plugged it) and cleaned egr valve and now it just stumble some when I push the throttle while cruising. It is only in low rpms this happens. So I took out the iac and cleaned it. It was then I noticed that it wasn't closed while disconnected. So my question is. Should it be closed or open when disconnected?

Also...when I let it idle for a couple of minutes I have to push the throttle a couple of times to clear it to run smooth again.

Sorry about my English and hope you understand.

Sounds to me like you need a good tuneup for starters.
The iac will neither be wide open, or completely closed. It moves back and fourth between more open, or less open depending on the amount of air the computer decides it needs the iac to pass to maintain the preset idle (probably 800 rpm).

I'm not sure what your issue is, but it doesn't sound like iac valve. It was still a great idea to clean it up though. As our motors and supporting equipment get older, any maintenance is good maintenance.

if your IAC "bottomed out" it would wear very quickly.

Back