Idle quirks.

monkeydude3

Reaction score
City, State
Millbrook, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello all
My dad has a 1997 ford Aerostar... with the 4.0L OHV engine we are all familiar with. The problem is that when it's idling, every so often the idle just jumps by about 300 rpm and then comes back down, and also sometimes it drops by 300 rpm or so and comes back up. It's very sudden and erratic in how it does it. I cleaned the IAC, which was pretty dirty, and it went away for a week or so. I was thinking possibly the MAF needs cleaning as well? Any ideas? thanks

George

Does the Aerostar have a/c? Is the a/c off when it does this wierd idle?

And of course you should clean the maf. What about the plugs and wires on it?
What about vacuum leaks? What about the O2 sensors? And it could be that the IAC is toast. There's lots of possibilities...

cool cool.... me personally I'm all about fixing whatever breaks. My dad is about turning up the radio until something actually stops his truck from moving. We CEL has come on several times about o2 sensors, but we haven't investigated which one because it turns off after a day. Also I want to go about putting new spark plugs and wires in it.... thanks

George

And no the a/c or defogger are not on at the times when it does this. It will just be peacefully idling... then it coughs, basically.

Back