idler pulley install hardware

motohobo

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XL
Hey -- new poster, old vehicle :)

Bad news - My 1994 Explorer's idler pulley popped off a couple days ago 100 mi from home. Good news - I have AAA with 100mi free towing. These are the only threads on the topic:

1993 idler pulley bolt size
Idler pulley bolt

What the second one says is true: the only supplier that gives you the bolt with the idler part is the dealer, which is 60 mi from here and wants $45 for the 18 dollar part. No junkyards near here have the bolt. So...I'm looking for something that does the job.

The bore takes a 10mm bolt that only goes in three or four threads (using a 10mm diameter standard 1.5/mm pitch Euro motorcycle bolt) before it stops, either because the thing bottoms out in the bore or because the thread pitch is different than the standard 1.5 per mm Euro pitch.

The pulleys that fit according to the fiche at the parts stores don't come with the bolt or any bushing. This video:

Shows a flange bolt on the front at 14.08 minutes, and some kind of spacer on the rear face but no bushing between the bolt and the bearing. At 15:01 at the left of the screen you can see a big washer that looks like it reaches to the flanged rim of the pulley. That probably is what the bolt rests on, otherwise it would rest directly on the race of the bearing. I could probably just get a 10 mm hex bolt and a washer to bridge to the rim of the pulley, or find a 10mm flange bolt that would hold the race down. My concern is that with no bushing between the bolt and the race. the thing could shift off center since there's nothing keeping it centered.

So...can anyone confirm that this thing just stays on using a 10mm flange bolt with standard 1.5 mm pitch? Best case is someone here knows. Worst case, I take a motorcycle ride to the nearest Fastenal and get a fine pitch 10 mm and see if it screws in more than 3 threads.

Thanks for any help...

IdlerPulley_640x480.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know what year they made the change to the 4.0l (like my 97') had the tension-er on top and the idler on the bottom, I was thinking that if the idler/tension-er position is interchangeable, maybe the bolt is too?

I don't know but here's the bolt, 10mm standard thread, and it only goes in 4 turns max before bottoming out -- lucky for me they had a '94 at the junkyard 5 minutes away from going in the crusher...

They guy who pulled it said there was no backing spacer there.

Y'all should check that bolt today and torque it down, preferably with some blue locktite. When it pops out, it sucks.

Van

IdlerPulleyBolt-453x604.JPG

Congrats on finding the bolt, and thanks for the info!

Edit -- the bolt screws in all the way, that is, at least a dozen turns as necessary to torque down the idler pulley -- I guess I had some trouble getting it in straight because of the flanged bore. If it don't go more than three threads, it's not in straight so don't force it. Goes without saying but...

FWIW the tensioner pulley and idler pulley are the same part but the bolts are different. The tensioner bolt is left hand thread while the idler is standard right hand.

Back