If i change the computer , will I have to re-program the PATS anti-theft system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If i change the computer , will I have to re-program the PATS anti-theft system?

heck914

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger, driver
Got a 2000 Ranger, 3.0, automatic, 2wd, The computer is fried, truck wouldnt start, took the computer out and saw one of the circuit boards was fried in 1 spot. I can get a used replacement computer , but will that screw up the anti theft system?? will it have to get reprogrammed? Is there a cheap way to have that done?

Any help will be gretly appreciated.

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PATS will probably need to be programmed. I tried this on my Cobra to keep the factory ECM a virgin. Wouldn't work without PATS being programmed. (yes...Ford can tell if the PCM has been flashed.) There is no easy way to do it unless you have two working keys. Since you will have none, you will need to go to a locksmith and have them do it. Should run you about $40 or so if you have the keys. Get a third one done while you're at it. That way if you lose one, you can program another yourself.

Yes. this is correct. At first, I didn't think this was right, but after reading some more into my service manual, there is a security code that is exchanged between the PCM and the PATS module. So, you either program the correct code into the PCM, or you bring the matching PATS module from the donor vehicle, and have your keys reprogrammed.

Also, if you only have one key, prepare to spend some money, its a pricey process bringing your vehicle to ford to have them program a second key. If you already have two keys, you can have a locksmith CUT the third key himself, and Ford provides you with a detailed instruction as to how to program the third key yourself.

Don't go to Ford for your PATS programming. I had one key and bought two more Rotunda blanks. Went to a locksmith where he charged me $4 to cut the new blanks and $40 to program all three keys. Now when I lose one, I can program my own replacement. Another benefit is if a key is lost and you reprogram for a new key, the lost key will no longer start the car.

By the way...the vehicle has to sit in the programming mode for 10 minutes before the locksmith can program keys. This ensures that some unsavory character won't get a programming tool and program new keys to your car unless he's willing to sit out in the open for 10 minutes.

i liked that feature in the explorer. it makes sure that your car is safe. anyway i work at a locksmith's and the keys arent that expensive anyway. like cobraguy says, it is around $5 a piece. and depending on the locksmith you employ, you will need to pay a service charge of around $40-50 for the programming

Back