If you could buy a 2020 PIU or a 2020 ST - which and why? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you could buy a 2020 PIU or a 2020 ST - which and why?

Cobra Jet

Reaction score
City, State
Southern, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS
So as the title states, if you were on a dealer lot and there was a 2020 PIU and ST side by side - which one would you purchase and why?

——

Also is there any documentation to compare each of the platforms side by side?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may be wrong, but I don't think this will be much of a 'contest'. ST. It's designed for the retail customer.

Peter

Well, not really from a contest or “versus” point of view, but say from a “loaded” vs “stripped” point of view if both have the 3.0 TT...

Let me further clarify too:

1) Powertrain Warranty on a “Civilian” Explorer is 5/60k
2) Powertrain Warranty on a PIU Explorer is 5/100k

Unless the policy changed, Ford will not sell a police package to civilians

Unless the policy changed, Ford will not sell a police package to civilians

Correct. Can only buy used. Buying one new requires a FIN

The gen6 PIU is basically the yet to be released entry level Explorer with a hybrid powertrain and some other changes. Most would not like the interior. It is spartan to say the least. A lot plastic. The seats are designed for long term durability as opposed to comfort. No way would I choose those seats over the ones in my ST. A neighbor down the county road drives one. It is his command vehicle. He has driven my ST. I would be banned for life if I reposted his assessment. It was x.. rated. ;) The 100K coverage is primarily designed to protect the government entities using them because of the hybrid system. The engine has less hp out of the box than the ST. Good luck tuning it. I don't believe it can be done. Hopefully someone on here with more knowledge will chime in. With hybrid powertrains still in their infancy, by the time the PD's hit the 100K rollover point, I'm not sure I buy one second hand. They are going to see a lot of idle time and curb crawling. That in itself is not conducive to front end longevity.

It would have been great to be able to order an XLT AWD with the 3.0L EcoBoost.
Ford is not stupid. Doing so would have robbed sales from the ST and Platinum trims. Exactly where their profit center is. Think stripped F-150 vs King Ranch

Back