If you ever wondered why to get a tuner for your truck, look here for answers. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you ever wondered why to get a tuner for your truck, look here for answers.

steveofire

Reaction score
City, State
Elk River, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
James is the best that i have ever dealt with when it came to tuning my truck. I have about 4 shops around here but i would rather go with James who is over a 1000 miles away to tune my truck. I am starting this thread to help those out there that have any doubts about what a tuner would do for there truck and why should the get one. So please anyone out there that reads this thread that has had there truck tuned by James please leave your input so others may view and see what all the great advantages are of having James at Henson Performance send them a tuner to make there truck come alive and hopefully answer any questions they may have about the whole tuner experience.

I am going to start with mine and a break down on what has been done. There has been 2 different time i have had the truck tuned and will show what i have had done.

1. When i first came to James i had my 01 explorer with a stock 5.0 and the added x-charger that was pushing 265hp to the wheels now this had no tune at all.
After contacting James he recommended that i add these parts which i did to get my truck tuned. I added 42lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, lighting 90mm Maf with external iat sensor, 9psi pulley, lc-1 wide band controller, and the sct-x3 tuner.
After we got done with the getting the truck tuned which was done with my laptop and sending him data logs and he was sending me tune files in email i had the truck at the dyno again and we were up to 349hp to the wheels man what a difference that was.

2. After driving it around for a little while I needed more power so i went out and bought a snow stage one water/meth injection kit and installed that on the truck. I then called James and told him that i needed a re tune already lol and tune number 2 was in the works. After a few pulleys and emails i was done with the second tune and now at the dyno i am pushing 415hp to the wheels. Now keep in mind the motor is still all stock IE. the heads, cam, lower end.

3. This is step 3 which is going to be done this winter i am pulling the motor out and selling it with the x-charger and i am going to be putting in a boss block, forged crank, rods, pistons, hogged out gt-40p heads, trick flow intake, upgraded fuel system and a 76mm ball bearing turbo. When i have this done and with the work that James has done i am going to trailer my truck from Minnesota down to Alabama and have James tune it on his dyno and will let all know what this will be pushing when it is done. I am shooting for about 700hp to 750hp for now. What can i say i like the hp and to have it in a ford explorer is even better cause no one sees it coming.

So if any one has any stories about how James has made a difference please post them and if anyone has any doubts i hope this will help you under stand that what James can do with a tuner and what you will expect to see for a difference. Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dang:burnout:400+HP at the rear wheels!!!...and you still want more?...I wish I had your funds...sound like you have an adrenalin rush you can't seem to make happy...maybe a doc can help you with that...I think most of us here have a hard enough time just keeping up with maintenance...seems like you have the same problem my wife has, not enough shoes in the closet, but your is not enough HP under the hood...I wish you luck in your HP quest...but my 2 cents says to leave it be and enjoy what you have...best of luck to you:D

Dave:salute:

When you did your upgrades did it cost you anything to get the tunner reflashed?

Dang:burnout:400+HP at the rear wheels!!!...and you still want more?...I wish I had your funds...sound like you have an adrenalin rush you can't seem to make happy...maybe a doc can help you with that...I think most of us here have a hard enough time just keeping up with maintenance...seems like you have the same problem my wife has, not enough shoes in the closet, but your is not enough HP under the hood...I wish you luck in your HP quest...but my 2 cents says to leave it be and enjoy what you have...best of luck to you:D

Dave:salute:

The thing i love about this is that no one sees it coming, i mean come on a ford explorer that would walk away from a mustang that is awesome lol. My goal for now next year is to be in the mid to low 9's at the 1/4 mile right now the best i ran on a hot day was a 14.4 at 92.8mph, i am going to be adding a 125 shot of nos next month and hope to be in the 12's. And when it is all said and done with everything i want to do it wont be street legal any more lol just going to the track.

If you can figure out how to loose some weight, you can get your times up, even though the X is considered a mid size SUV, I'm pretty sure your pushing another 1Klbs more then the Mustang counter part...maybe some fiberglass hood and fenders and maybe some fiberglass bumpers would lighten the load a lot!!:popcorn:

Steveofire,

are you running torque monster headers?

Is Stevofire still around?

Back