If you have a 91-94 5spd w/ remote starter please help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you have a 91-94 5spd w/ remote starter please help.

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
Here's my problem. I have an UltraStart autostart installed but it won't remote start without the clutch pushed in. Have any of you had to do a clutch bypass? I am using the 1250M remote starter and no where in the instructions did it have anything for a clutch bypass and the instructions are for both auto and manual. I am thinking I have a second ignition wire that I'm missing that sends signal to clutch module. I can't find it and as far as I can tell I have made all the correct connections

The only wiring I have left are for glow plugs (diesel), arm/dis-arm (factory alarm), starter kill/bipass module (anti-theft), and one wire that can be for a second accessory or second ignition. The last wire seems to be optional and I didn't connect it. 91-94 don't have any of the others anti-theft or alarm.

Let me know what you guys think!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed a Bulldog remote starter in my wifes Windstar and also in our Subaru Legacy. Both are Auto's... I had some trouble wiring the Subaru, and was able to get the wiring information on the web from thier website. I tried looking for the manual but can't find it, and I know it is not Bulldog.x... If you can get the web address you could get the wiring from them..

all the remote starters i have ever seen for sale, say it cant be used with manuals trannied cars

Originally posted by jimabena74
all the remote starters i have ever seen for sale, say it cant be used with manuals trannied cars

Ahhhh, but some can and they are specifically made for them. It turned out that when I installed my remote start this past year my installation manual was an old version. I spliced into two wires and tied one from the remote starter into both wires as directed. Well actually I needed to just tie into one of the wires, but beyond the clutch switch thus bypassing the clutch.

For those that don't know there are a few brands of remote starters designed for manual trannies. Some use a 4-point laser that detects the position of the shifter. Ones like mine require certain steps to be taken for it to remote start.

I have to engage parking brake, shift into nuetral, depress brake pedal, turn key off (vehicle remains running), exit vehicle and when door shuts car turns off ready to remote start. If hood is opened or door is opened vehicle is disabled for remote start. Safe enough for me!

I had no idea that you could put a remote start in a manual trans car. Wow thats cool. Can I get one that shuts off when I turn the key off? That would be kinda wierd if the truck stayed on when I turn it off. All I want is to be able to remote start it, no fancy gismos and stuff. I already have a crimestopper alarm system, this will probly interfere with the remote start won't it? The crimestopper has a starter kill on it too.

Here is a link to Ultrstarters they have the manual tranny starter I installed. Bought it on ebay for less than 50 from a distributor. I added the keyless entry diodes for another 15. They have a factory alarm arm and disarm some actually have a port where you can plug your alarm into. Check it out they seem to be very helpful with emails and calls. You might be able to just connect into your aftermarket alarm. http://www.ultrastarters.com/feature_sheets/1250_feature_sheet.pdf

Here is a link to the webpage Dead Link Removed

I checked and crimestoppers doesn't make one for manual trannies. I think viper does.

Here is the company I got mine from except not the alarm version this is on 90Dead Link Removed

Here's a sweet one on Ebay for going for 100 with the two-way lcd pager

Dead Link Removed

That sucks because I spent 140 a while ago for my alarm and I really like it, don't really want to waste it just so I can have a remote starter. ALthough it would be cool. So there isn't some way I could plug mine into another unit and have remote start?

I think that it is possible. Most remote starters have wires that you have to connect to arm and disarm alarms. The wiring diagrams say factory alarm but it could be an aftermarket alarm I'm sure. Let me see if I can get an answer from Ultra starters.

Unfortunately finding the motor side of the starter wire beyond the clutch is causing me problems. I can't seem to find it. Auuuuggghhhh!

Found it and I'm ticked it was the completelyt wrong color of wire. Didn't show up.

Well here is the response from AST Ultra Starters:

PHP:
I am unsure if the crimestopper unit has an 
outboard or inboard shock sensor. If it is outboard, you 
can discinnect power durring remote start using the
 orange wire from the remote starter. You must also 
diconnect the ignition input to the alarm utilising the same wire. 
This is to be sure the alsrm is not triggered 
while the remote starter is on. You can use the 1250m 
for this application. I do recommend that you put in an 
alarm starter combo. You will have range problems with 
two units in the vehicle.

It just means that the Orange wire that is used for the factory alarm would wire into your alarm and the ignition wire. That's if you have a shock sensor that is outboard. I can check and see what he means by inboard outboard. No Boats here! lol.

It is what I thought you can wire an aftermarket alarm into a remote starter. Do you have a shock sensor? If someone bumps your car does the alarm go off? Was there a seperate diode or box for this feature if you have it?

I'll email him back and see what he means.

Back