Ignition Is Locked Up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ignition Is Locked Up

Post number 5 has been selected as best answered.

MONGO103

Reaction score
City, State
MIAMI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Tried To Start My 99 Xlt And The Ignition Would Not Turn At All. I Checked That I Am In Park And Foot On The Brake. I Tried Turning The Steering Wheel (which I Think Might Be The Problem) And It Doesnt Want To Move. Also I Am On Flat Land And My Tires Are Pointing Straight....any Ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome!

Turn the steering wheel and the key at the same time until they both unlock. The steering wheel is the key.

MONGO103, try what Alec said first. This is a feature of the steering wheel, if someone tries to break in and doesn't have a key, the wheel locks so that it can't be turned without the ignition working.

If that doesn't work, you'll probably have what I had. The little brass sliders used in the lock (that are associated with your key) were worn out. I had to have a locksmith come out and pull the ignition core and replace the little brass sliders with new ones as well as new springs (the springs wear out too). He said it was fairly common on Ford's. anywho, it cost me about $100 and took him about an hour to do, but my Auto insurance covered it so it wasn't too big a deal.

Hope this helps you.

Just dont do what I did and try to start your Explorer with the key from you other Explorer and almost break the ignition trying.... Man I felt like an idiot...

Sounds like its just jammed up inside to me.

Shane

Thanks Guys...turned Out I Called A Locksmith And It Was The Pin...$80 Later On A Sunday, It Was Done ...sure Beat Screwing Withe The Dealer And The Hassels.....thanks Again

If your key simply won't turn, then the lock cylinder is broken

I had to replace the ignition lock cylinder on my 03 Explorer LTD. I purchased this item from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FZ6F5XB/?tag=serious-20

Dorman 924-797 Ignition Lock Cylinder Kit with Programmer​

The kit included very clear step-by-step instructions, the lock cylinder fit perfectly, the new keys programmed correctly. Only one originally programmed key is required to program the two new keys in the kit. There's probably other ways to go about this fix, but none that are easier, and it was only $70.

Back