Ignition Kill Switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ignition Kill Switch

WizardOfOdds

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer
After reading sncwfo99 thread and the horrors hes going threw and reading posts about getting an ignition kill switch I said "Hey, that's a pretty good idea!" Anybody know how to go about doing this? What would the difficulty level be consideredo n a scale 1 - 10? Thank you :):roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not hard, depending on what you have in mind. My '92 came with a security key type kill switch, take the key out and it would disconnect it. When I put my alarm in tho, I took it out and installed the alarms automatic kill switch in its place. I would guess a hidden toggle switch would work just as good.

Or you could just pop the hood & take out the fuel pump relay.

Or you could do something cool like a Fuel pump Kill Switch install see my posts beginning at #18

A fuel pump kill switch is cool because it allows the started to crank, but doesn't give the engine any fuel.. Therefore a thief may just assume your engine sucks and is hard to start... If you put in a starter kill switch then when a thief turns the key and gets nada he is more likely to start looking for a hidden switch...

Just thinking about this. I was thinking about cutting one of the wires coming from the Crank Positioning sensor and putting a switch in there. The signal coming from those wires carry no heavy current so a baby switch and thin wire will work. The effort will be incorporating the wires into the harness so they look nice.
The Starter will crank over but no spark or fuel to the engine.

But if someone tries to start it for long enough and just lets it crank... They will eventually break the starter drive :p

But if someone tries to start it for long enough and just lets it crank... They will eventually break the starter drive :p

Someone wanting to steal your vehicle is typically not going to keep cranking the engine for very long. Thieves want to get in and out as quickly as possible. The sound of an engine cranking and not starting draws alot of unwanted attention. The last thing a thief wants is a good Samaritan coming over to offer help. If however the starter doesn't crank the thief knows something is wrong and can take some time to look for any hidden switch without drawing too much attention.

BTW I have a fully functional alarm system with starter kill w/ shock sensor in my X.. When I drive to questionable areas I can set the fuel pump kill switch and have an additional layer of protection..

"BTW I have a fully functional alarm system with starter kill w/ shock sensor in my X.. When I drive to questionable areas I can set the fuel pump kill switch and have an additional layer of protection."

Same here but I pull the relay instead. I may look into a switch though.

"BTW I have a fully functional alarm system with starter kill w/ shock sensor in my X.. When I drive to questionable areas I can set the fuel pump kill switch and have an additional layer of protection."

Same here but I pull the relay instead. I may look into a switch though.

Having to pop the hood and replace a relay to start my vehicle in a questionable neighborhood is not my idea of a quick and speedy exit.. While it works great for when you leave your vehicle when going hiking, or to prevent thefts of opportunity; it isn't convenient when in a high crime area where someone could sneak up and attempt to mug you when you have your hood open trying to replace a relay.

Yeah but I have it down really good. That's why you practice in your driveway.
:D
I'm not in those areas that often. But in south FL your car can be gone at anytime/anywhere.

I was in Mexico City a good part of last year, and anti theft devices are basically useless because they come and get the vehicle at gunpoint while it's already running.... But I'm working on something that would work for that too... they'll take the truck and leave me there, I'll just go up to a phone booth or ask someone for their cellular, punch in a remote cellphone number (for a phone that's hidden in the engine compartment, and switch the ignition off from some low amp system, I'm about 95% sure this will work. My truck already has a metal floor plate the flips over the pedals and locks there, and a fuel kill switch... But that only works if they don't decide to tow it :rolleyes:

Just put a switch on the small red wire going to the starter relay.

Or find out which wire provides power to the coil pack and put a switch on that one.

Question on this. If the switch is installed on the inertia switch will it still function like it should in case of a crash?

I would think so since you're only putting a switch before it. As long as the switch is on, the inertia switch is on as well...

When I had my 67 plymouth I never locked the doors on the thing figuring if someone wanted to get in, it wasn't going to be hard, so I cut a wire going to the ignition switch and put a switch on that and it worked great.

Question on this. If the switch is installed on the inertia switch will it still function like it should in case of a crash?

Jason: That would be Yes: A kill switch wired in-line with the inertia switch will not affect the operation of the inertia switch. An inertia switch is basically a smart switch that will trip (cut power) if a big enough shock/impact is detected.

I would think so since you're only putting a switch before it. As long as the switch is on, the inertia switch is on as well...

Minivek: You could add a kill switch before or after the inertia switch, but wiring it after the switch will enable you to more easily detect a problem with the inerta switch.

Nicely thought DeRocha, that's staying a step ahead of potential problems, thanks ;)

Back