ignition lock cylinder problems

88vert

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
clinton,iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 unlimited
Well I went to the movie place tonight to get a movie and I get back out to unlock the ex and the key breaks off in the door:( So I walk 2 miles back home to grab the spare keys and bring them back and they dont work:( :( So the spare keys open the vehicle but they wont start the truck I just want to change the ignition out.So hard is this to do I see autozone sells them for 18 bucks is this a job I can do myself?Sorry so long:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you have had the ignition changed in the past, you should be able to get a new key cut from Ford using your VIN#.

There are also little metal key tags that come with a new vehicle, that have the key info on them. If you still have the tags, any good locksmith can cut some new keys for you.

My ex is stuck at the movie store over night:( I had to take all the stereo equipment out of it:(

Just to add,

If you really want the ignition changed, it is simple, after you get the shroud around the wheel off. There is only 1 wire, and a button thing holding it in there....

Thanks for the help

Its the stock ignition,its just wore out:( What kind of tools do I need to change out the cylinder?

Crankcase

Its that easy?I cannot believe I have not done it earlier,the only bad thing is having two different keys:( How hard is it to get a broken key out of the doorlock?

I guess the older Ex's do not have that " electronic coded key thing " that newer Ex's have.

Meaning an all metal copy key will not start my Ex only the custom and costly Ford key?

Originally posted by MONMIX
I guess the older Ex's do not have that " electronic coded key thing " that newer Ex's have.

Meaning an all metal copy key will not start my Ex only the custom and costly Ford key?
Naw. That's a 98 and newer thing. Thankfully :D

I just got it done:D I had to use a punch and break all the tumblers out took me about three hours to do off an on the hardest part was taking everything apart.Thanks for everyones help once again:D

I am going to take the door lock out tommorow and have the broken key taken out of it and have new keys made:D

Originally posted by 88vert
I am going to take the door lock out tommorow and have the broken key taken out of it and have new keys made:D

Make sure you also bring the top of the key with you to the key place when getting a new one made up.

The top of the key has the blank key #. There are different lengths of Ford keys. I think the Explorer one is an H-2. It really makes a big difference if you get a shorter key by mistake.

Back