I'm Buying an Explorer, '90-'95ish, Differences? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm Buying an Explorer, '90-'95ish, Differences?

Gina

Elite Explorer Babe
Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hi! I'm new to the forum here because I just decided to buy an Explorer. I'd been around test driving S-10s, Blazers, and such, and then I drove a '94 Explorer and fell in love. Well, my problem is that I'm a poor college student and I might not be able to afford a '94 like the one I drove (I am getting monetary help from dad though). I just wanted to get some information about the differences between a '94 and earlier years. I'll need to know things like:

-Interior styles
-Push button 4x4 or not
-Different engines (boyfriend says must be fuel injected)
-How the back seats fold down ('94 was one easy button, I think others have to be manually lifted and then the back put down)
-Any reaccuring problems or helpful info

I will be buying an automatic with 4x4 to handle the Michigan snow in my school parking lot! Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site!

1991 to 1994 are the same interior and exterior. the 4x4 is pushbutton and rear seat folds down easily. they all have a 4.0L V-6 fuel injected engine.
i have a 92 that i bought in november of last year, never had a problem with it. all i did was change the shocks because they were worn. i only paid $3200 for it, and it runs perfect. no rust, dents, etc...

good luck in your search.

Hi Gina

Well, the 91-94s are essentially the same except for some minor running changes that Ford made through the years. The changes from 91 to 92 are cosmetic. 91s have black trim surrounding the interior door handle and power window controls, and have a single cupholder in the center console. The 92s have interior-color trim on the door handles instead of black, and 92s manufactured on or after Feb 92 have dual cupholders. From 92-93, Ford added 4-wheel anti-lock brakes (the 91s and 92s had rear wheel only), and tweaked the dash design a little. If you look at a 91 or 92 and then a 93 or 94, the instrument cluster is slightly different, as is the lower dash trim. Ford also changed seat frabrics for 93-94, and IMO, they are more uncomfortable. One of the big things to look out for on the 91s is that the engine is more prone to cracking a head than the later models. By 92 Ford had pretty much fixed this problem, and from 93 on, I think they got it completely fixed. Oh, and 93s and 94s have a rocker panel cover that the 91s and 92s don't have. The 93s and 94s are essentially the same.

All the 91s-94s have a 4.0L OHV fuel-injected v6. They came with with either a 4 speed auto or a 5 speed manual. The auto tranny is a huge problem area. Make sure whatever car you're looking at has had its tranny replaced or rebuilt if it has high mileage. Otherwise, it's not a matter of if it will break, but when. Get maintenance records!

95s are a whole other animal. This is the first year of the redesign. Same engine, but a different 4x4 system called Control Trac, which is fully automatic instead of part-time. Plus it looks different...hehe.

Anyway, welcome to the site! You've found the best Explorer resource on the net, and probably the greatest group of people around. There's a ton of info here.

Now, the real question is, why can't I remember these kinds of useless, random facts for my midterms and finals at college?

peace

Mike

Hello Gina,

After browsing through this place for about 4mnths, i've read about the 91-94s a lot. These are the things that i've seen people gripe about:

1) Transmission (A4LD): Apparently weak. Prone to failure in high mileage vehicles and some low mileage ones.

2) Radius arms: I believe the bushings are the parts that fail, and you'll hear some clunking noises when you go over bumps etc.

3) Automatic 4x4 hubs: Prone to failure. Ultimate fix would be to replace them with manual locking hubs.

Nevertheless, i think a 91-94 is a better off-road vehicle in some ways. Yet, being an owner of a 95, i feel that the second time round, Ford made the Explorer easier to maintain. They did away with the automatic locking hubs and used the Control Trac system which uses electronics to lock the front differential. As a result, the front disc brakes are a lot easier to replace, since there is no necessity to remove the wheel bearings in the process etc etc. The 95 model year also saw the use of rear disc brakes. My only dislike about the setup used, is the fact that the parking brake is now a separate system, using the rear disc as a drum, and brake shoes to lock the rear disc. This just means more stuff to replace in the process. Spark plugs are also quite hard to replace due to the constraints of space in the engine compartment. Make sure you have a long 1/2" extension if your boyfriend is going to do such maintenance himself.
The 95 also saw the intro of the torsion bar independent front suspension system. Instead of springs and shocks in the 91-94, the 95 uses torsion bars and shocks. Off-roading afficionados are not too happy about this due to limited lifting possibilities, while the new suspension did away with the problematic radius arms.
I think this is about all i can come up with at the moment. If there's any 91-94 owner who can add to or correct my information, please do. Thanks.

• I'm suggesting you get a '95 for a lot of reasons.
  • new body design looks a lot sleaker and not so box like
  • new interior also a lot sleaker and not square and box like
  • new 4x4 system has an auto feature where the computer detects when the rear wheels slip and sends power to the front can be left on at all times (including dry pavement) unlike regular 4wd found on '91-94 models also no more auto hubs that are common problems on the '91-94's the system does not disengage and re-engage when going into reverse either
  • different transmission a stronger, more reliable transmission with less failures than those in a '91-94

All the engines are fuel injected and all of the seats fold down the same. The transmission and 4wd system is much more reliable on a '95 and newer compared to a '91-94. I would base my decision on that. You can probably find a good '95 for around $7500-$9500.

If your getting the early model and an automatic the best thing to look for is the larger Transmission cooler in front of the radiator. If you look through the grill it will be on the driver side in front of the radiator. The trans is ok in the vehicle- most will last 150k plus if they stay cool (ther reason to look for the aux cooler) and you do the maint on it.(hard to know if your buying used though).

I would check the engine - valve covers, and intake manifold for leaks- look carefully at the rear of the engine(as best you can, feel with your hands ) for oil leak at the manifold. Also pull the plugs take a look , may give you insight into the manifold gasket and if its leaking. Have someone (or get the tester) pull the codes make sure when you buy its not got a previous problem.

Take a careful look at the radiator tanks (theyre plastic and crack with very small hard to detect leaks where they join the core)

Body look for rust right infront of the rear wheel well, and along the rockers(get underneath and look esp if its not undercoated )

The auto hubs will be fine if all your going to do is use it for snow, but do chaeck the 4wd operation(high and Low)

Hey John- all of the explorer trans are the same family (A4LD)- the late models are electronic control versions of the original 4 speed with some clutch and valve body modifications as far as I can tell.
A4LD useless info: Ever been to an airport a lot of the baggage handling equip has the A4LD, so do some fork lifts, and some stationary engine applications. I even found a guy in england running 700 hp through his(in a 1400lb car!!)

Good luck and have fun!!

Hi-
I bought a '91 when I was going to college 3 yrs ago. It has been great. The most important thing is to have the transmission checked out. If you take it to Aamco they will do it for free. The prices have really come down lately so you should be able to find a pretty nice one for less than $5k. Good luck and if you have any questions just ask.

Also, the 2 doors handle a lot better, are less expensive, and get better mileage as opposed to a 4 door.

Back