I'm looking for code definitions, where are they? Trans problems, HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm looking for code definitions, where are they? Trans problems, HELP!

Funkdoobiest

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 4x4
I have a 95 4x4 Explorer and the trans was slipping during the 2-3 engangement. I installed the Transgo kit, replaced the EPC solenoid, replaced the VB gaskets, with fresh fluid and new filter. But now the trans is worse and slips in all but first gear. I dropped everything once again, checked and double checked and found nothing odd. I torqued everything back to spec and same thing. I e-mailed Chris(Glacier991) but got no response.

The O/D light was flashing so I checked the codes using a jumper wire to the connector and watched my CEL. It's giving me some weird numbers, nothing that I can differentiate between the first and second digits like other cars. I got these numbers, but like I said I can't tell which are which and how many digits these vehicles have in their codes. They're all even with the same pause length in-between.

5-3-9-5-3-9-1-6-4-6-6-4-6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...i'm taking a stab here but i think you have a.c. problem...just trying to deceipher your code as i believe it is saying 539 x2, 1 = new code to follow, and then the 646 x 2 code...i hope this works ...:D

...539 = something to do with loss of refrigerent...646= ac clutch relay control circuit low

...i'm taking a stab here but i think you have a.c. problem...just trying to deceipher your code as i believe it is saying 539 x2, 1 = new code to follow, and then the 646 x 2 code...i hope this works ...:D

...539 = something to do with loss of refrigerent...646= ac clutch relay control circuit low

Well the AC works just fine, very cold. But the CEL light didn't actually come on at all, it was the O/D light flashing. And it didn't do that until after the Trabsgo kit install. I'm thinking about uninstalling it. Do you have any experience with this kit?

..sorry, i don't but i thought i seen brooklynbay on a minute ago...he might be able to help...and sorry, i should have seen od light but my brain said cel, lol...

..sorry, i don't but i thought i seen brooklynbay on a minute ago...he might be able to help...and sorry, i should have seen od light but my brain said cel, lol...

No problem, I appreciate it. Thanks.

...from searching i did find the trans codes would be from 700-804 as in p0700-p0804....i want to keep an eye on this to see what comes up for future reference...
...if you can't get ahold of glacier you might also want to try mod, explorerdmb...good luck and here's a bump so this will be seen...;)

I just got your email. Your vehicle uses EEC-IV codes which don't start with a "P". Drew has been away for a while now. The 646 would be related to the intermediate band being out of adjustment, or possibly being broken. As for the 539, did you have your A/C on during the test? Check # 17 in my list of useful threads for code definitions: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160035

I just got your email. Your vehicle uses EEC-IV codes which don't start with a "P". Drew has been away for a while now. The 646 would be related to the intermediate band being out of adjustment, or possibly being broken. As for the 539, did you have your A/C on during the test? Check # 17 in my list of useful threads for code definitions: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160035

While driving I had the AC on, but when I checked the codes I had the key on, car off. I forgot to tell you that I also adjusted the bands but wound up right where it was before. Does replacing the bands require removing/disassembling the transmission? Do you recommend I reverse the Transgo kit since it was alot better before? Or did it sound like I installed it wrong?

I would suggest that you retrace your steps, and double check everything that was done so far. Check the pan for broken parts, and make sure that all of the solenoids on the harness are plugged in.

I'm sorry.... I have been on the road and sometimes if I get a chance to check PM's I will wait til I get home to answer... yet I do not find a PM from you. Email may have gotten caught in the spam filter and deleted.

Anyway...When you do something and things get worse, best bet is to walk back through your steps. In your case, I'd be really interested in knowing your line pressures. 2-3 prpoblems have many possible problems, but your current problems sound like your pressures are low. Leaky circuit? Leaky component? Bad EPC (I know you replaced it)...

The 95-96 EPC is different than the 97-up model. Maybe the wrong one was installed? If the EPC is good, then it might be a defective boost valve or leaking end plugs on the valve body. Sonnax has end plugs with O rings as well as a boost valve with O rings to upgrade from the OEM style.

I would suggest that you retrace your steps, and double check everything that was done so far. Check the pan for broken parts, and make sure that all of the solenoids on the harness are plugged in.

I spent a few hours yesterday doing just that, double and triple checking everything that I did. I even checked to see that all the blade connectors were intact and not bent on the solenoids, the alignmenet of the gaskets, and all other parts.

When I purchased the EPC, I had to verify with the company that it was the correct one, which was the green one I believe. They assured me it was the one I needed.

I'll check with Sonnax. Thanks guys.

You have the correct one. The 95-96 has the green screen. The 97-up has the red screen: http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/4R44E_transmission_EPC_solenoid_1995_96_p/230-000023399.htm.
230-000023399-2.jpg

Back