im new to this please help 1998 ford explorer XLT 5.0 AWD right upper control arm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

im new to this please help 1998 ford explorer XLT 5.0 AWD right upper control arm

redexplorer5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
my 1998 Explorer with 5.0 AWD has the 2 piece passenger upper control arm
it has to be replace i need both pieces please help me i replaced the drivers side already and i just put 4 brand new goodyears wanglers silent armor tires
i have 120,000 miles it runs great just this one problem
thank you everyone :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try rockauto. if they don't list both pieces of the 2-piece design, they probably list a one-piece uca for the passenger side.

if i get the one piece do i need to buy a new camber kit also

If you can get by with just replacing the outside you won't need an alignment if it's good now. Are the bushings worn on the inner?

The bushing are worn and the ball joint is shot

2-piece control arm

The purpose of it was to allow fine-tuning of the Caster Split from one side to the other, for optimum tracking. Adjustment of the bolt visible on the front end of the arm allows controlled movement back and forth of the upper end of the steering knuckle, thereby changing caster angle.

Expensive setup, it was done-away with in later years. I liked it. If vehicle had a slight "pull" to one side, a guy could adjust that away by moving that bolt a little at a time.

Unfortunately, my 2004 ain't got it. imp

The bushings are no good can you buy the bushings and rebuild the original set up cause I have the ball joint part

The bushings are no good can you buy the bushings and rebuild the original set up cause I have the ball joint part

yes, the bushings are available. RockAuto shows them for around $15. probably a bit more locally.

If you have to replace the bushings you still need to remove the bolts so you may as well just install a new inner and outer. The outer has the ball joint that goes into the spindle.

Found the oem two piece control arm on eBay for $30 bucks rebuilt it put in works perfect
Also rebuilt my old one and have a back up

Back