In Search Of A Sub To Place in JL Stealth Box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In Search Of A Sub To Place in JL Stealth Box

Raminator157

Mopar Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Essex Jct Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ram 1500
The depth in my Jl Stealth Box is 5 inches. I want to replace it with a subwoofer I can pick up at a local retail store. The stock subwoofer in the box was a 10W1. What shoulod I get guys? Iam not big on car audio. I dont wanna spend a fortune either. I was thinking about geting it at Best Buy or Circuit City.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, easy cheap suggestions are the 10" Pioneer ($50) and Lightning Audio ($40) subs at wallyworld. Circuit City has 10" Kicker or MTX subs for about $100. Best Buy has 10" Kenwood, Sony, Rockford Fosgate, Infinity, Power Acoustik, and Alpine subs from $80-200.

Really it's going to come down to what amp you're powering it with. It would be best to get a sub that needs the space of a stealthbox and can handle the power of the amp.

If you're not big on audio and just want a replacement, I'd suggest the Pioneer if the sub amp is 120W or under, the Lightning Audio if its 150W, and the Kenwood or Rockford Fosgate subs for up to 300W.

I got a 300 watt Rockford to power the sub. But I was planning on leaving the volume low. I was looking at the pioneer. But the depth is slightly bigger then 5 inches. Only other one, i've seen that will fit is the MTX 10.

Are you replacing the sub because of sound/quailty? Or cause the JL is dead? I got a new 10W1 JL sub from an audio shop. It was $100.

If you use the Mtx subs go with the 5500-44. Should play nice.

Ok, so any JL dealer can get you a 10W1 replacement. If you want to go that way.

The JL 10W1 (the new v2, anyway) only handles 150W RMS, so if your Rockford amp is putting out 300W RMS, it's gonna blow a new 10W1 too. If the Rockford amp is 150W RMS and 300W peak, then a new 10w1 might be in order. Be sure to choose a sub that handles at least the same RMS power your amp puts out to avoid blowing them in the future.

I agree with that. I have an extra JL sub that matches the Stealthbox, I bought it and my Stealthbox at the same time, not knowing if the old woofer works. I haven't yet mounted the box, it's on my soon list. Do you want to buy the replacement speaker, mine is new, I've thought about selling the used one also. Good luck,

If the price is right, i will jump all over that!

I agree with that. I have an extra JL sub that matches the Stealthbox, I bought it and my Stealthbox at the same time, not knowing if the old woofer works. I haven't yet mounted the box, it's on my soon list. Do you want to buy the replacement speaker, mine is new, I've thought about selling the used one also. Good luck,

Like Jason above mentioned, they run just over $100 new. I think that the whole used Stealthbox I bought will work, but I'd feel really dumb if I sold the new speaker, and the old one is shot. How soon do you need to do something? I hunted for a long time to buy the JL box, the speaker was there most of the time. I tried to get a good deal on the same speaker used, but the selling prices seemed high then for a used speaker. People were paying like $75, so I settled on buying the new one.

Cool, I hope to install my sub and console in the next 10 days or so. I'll be testing my spare console, changer. The sub I plan to feed with my stock HU RCA cables, that will take some wiring for the amps. Regards,

Back