Installation: ClearGearz 8.8" Clear Differential Cover | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installation: ClearGearz 8.8" Clear Differential Cover

Since there have been several people wondering how it did offroad, including myself, I did a search on pirate4x4. Here is the article from 4 wheel and offroad. It placed third, and stood up to everything except for getting run over by a bull dozer. :eek: They said it was not bull dozer proof without a ring gear behind it.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/members/albun21/diffart_2?full=1
http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/members/albun21/diffart_3?full=1

Thought I'd pass this along since many of us were asking the same questions. I will probably wind up getting one for my dana 44. :thumbsup: Thanks DMB for paving the way for the Explorers. ;) Looks like you made a really nice purchase.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got mine :thumbsup:

Cant fit it yet though as I am still waiting for my 4.56 gears :thumbdwn:

FST had a demo unit that they let customers hit with a 3lb hammer. After a few months the thing shattered.

I'd love to see this while the wheels are spinning so the gears would be moving and fluid would be splashing. :thumbsup:

I was going to leave it on the lift and let the wheels spin and i was gonna take a video of it -- but I forgot my camera when I installed it and I haven't had my truck in the shop to do anything else to it.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
I was going to leave it on the lift and let the wheels spin and i was gonna take a video of it -- but I forgot my camera when I installed it and I haven't had my truck in the shop to do anything else to it.

-Drew

Cool. I look forward to seeing that. Too bad they did not build in a drain plug on it though.

It wouldn't really be hard to make one though. Drill a hole, then tap it with some threads the same as a fill/drain plug. But there isn't a whole lot of cover tere, it's only abouta 1/4" thick.

-Drew

Is your Clear Coverz still CLEAR???

To all of you guys who got a Clear Cover for your rigs, i wonder how these have been doing? I am the funder of a Jeeps forum down here in Mexico. I was wondering if these covers hold up moderate off-road abuse. So i found this forum and now here i am wondering if it is worht to buy a pair of these for my Jeep YJ.

I will apreciate any feedback from you.
Thanks.
www.RealJeeps.com

I've had mine on for awhile now and it is still clear. Looks almost brand new, but winter will tell for sure with all the grime/salt!

-Drew

Well, I finally got ther nerve to let my girlfriend drive my Explorer without me in it (following her in her car) and it was sweet. I got to see the carrier and everything spinning when we got close to a stop, it as pretty sweet. It clears off really quick, as soon as you stop the lube just falls to the bottom. It's some really could stuff. And if your driving at night and you have your lights on behind me, the little metal ring around the diff kind of "lights up" due to the reflection and it looks sweet.

-Drew

Do you think you could find a cover like this for to replace valve covers on the 4.0?

Clear valve covers on the 4.0 would be sweeeeet to watch!

ummm.....NO.

You COULD have them cu$tom made...ANYTHING is po$$ible.

I have never even seen them for the SBC or BBC.....and if they're not out there for THOSE, then I can't imagine they would be readily available for the 4.0L

Ryan

Back