Installing 6x9's as replacements of door speakers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing 6x9's as replacements of door speakers?

snowboard15

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Ive been thinking about installing 6x9's as replacements for the stock door speakers. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience doing this and could give me some advice on how to go about doing this, and if it is possible which im pretty sure it is. Also if someone could give me some help on how to remove the door panels so i can get to access door speakers and do the work, i just dont wanna break anything. Help me out if you can! Thanks Alot!
-Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6x9s will require modifications, 5x7/6x8s will work just fine, direct replacement.

removing the door panels.. search the forums, as I have a 2nd gen and I'm not too familiar with how 1st gen doors are removed, but I can almost guarentee you it's been said on here, just gotta search.

5x7's and 6x8's will go in with no problem and no mods? I dont really mind modifying anything if there is any big pluses in 6x9 over others. I dont really know but i got 2 12 Blaupunkt subs so i just wanna get more big sound. And i dont need to remove the whole door i jus need to remove the panel right and i can get directly to the speakers and wiring from there right? Anyone with any help would be much appreciated. Thanks alot guys!
-Jon

Yes, all you need is the door panels off and the wiring is all there waiting for you. 6x9s I believe will require either fabbing a new bracket or really modifying the existing. Honestly, stick with 5x7s/6x8s or components up front (preferred) with an amp powering both the mids & tweets. The advantage is loudness, which is good for the back, for the front, components work well.

Components so your talkin bout tweets and everything, so what would be a good spot to put in the tweets and how? Sorry to keep buggin with questions jus wanna get everything done right and done good. Thanks alot!
-Jon

I have to run to work, but most people put them either on the door panels in the top left corner, or on the A-pillar. I'll find some pictures when I get back from work, but feel free to search around the forums. :)

There's lots of posts about these different questions you have.There's a whole thread about where to put the tweeters.

Problem with 6x9's is that they're so deep. I tried to put some in and you cant get the door panel back on.

i have done this. i have 6x9's in all four doors. the only things you have to do is trim the inside diameter of the speaker bracket (stock) and then drill new mounting holes. my door panels dont fit right, because i didnt trim the mounting bracket. if you do, then the door panel should go on alright.

The Jensen 6x8s I had didn't fit in the front of my car because they hit the window slide bar (for lack of a better name, its just that thing that the window comes down on when you roll it down).

I have heard they will fit in the back so I'll try putting them there.

Back