installing aftermarket radio help with rca output | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

installing aftermarket radio help with rca output

Tbonejr

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Im installing a aftermarket stereo system DVD player (in dash) It has rca outputs for the speakers and of course the truck has wires. What kind of adapter do I need to convert the rca output wires to regular speaker wires? I have found the converter you use to hook up a factory stereo to a power amp with rca inputs but cant find a way to go from rca outputs on the radio to the speakers. Thanks for any help :)

Tbone :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

moving to audio

Why are you not running an RCA cord from the head unit to the amp
huh.gif

LOL I dont know

I guess because Im :confused: OK if im correct the amp is in the rear side panel of the truck. But The unit im putting in has 80watts per channel (4 channel) and Im adding a cpl speakers to the very rear of the truck. How
could I hook up the rear speakers that im adding? Would I just split the wires coming from the amp or what.
Also It seems that my factory radio or the amp is going because my front speakers keep going on and off ? Ive checked all the wiring and everything seems good.

I was just going to go directly from the radio to the speakers with new wiring.

If you could give me any ideas I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

The RCA's are for the amp, but youre gonna have to use an aftermarket amp. Factory amp uses wiring, not RCA's

Let me know if i got this correct

Is there any way to hook this new radio up with the factory amp ? Im guessing no.

The new radio has a built in amp pushing 80 watts per channel (4 channels)
but all the outputs are rca. I figured there was some way to convert the rca to reg speakerwire. This way I could bypass the factory amp all together.

If I have to get another amp how do I split a 4 channel output to 6 speakers. Most of the amps I see have 4 channel output. Can I just split 1 channel to 2 speakers or not?

Thanks again ;)

Tbonejr said:
Is there any way to hook this new radio up with the factory amp ? Im guessing no.

The new radio has a built in amp pushing 80 watts per channel (4 channels)
but all the outputs are rca. I figured there was some way to convert the rca to reg speakerwire. This way I could bypass the factory amp all together.

If I have to get another amp how do I split a 4 channel output to 6 speakers. Most of the amps I see have 4 channel output. Can I just split 1 channel to 2 speakers or not?

Thanks again ;)

I am unsure if you can hook it up to the factory amp. I don't know enough about Ford audio.

The 80 watts will only be through the speaker leads off the head unit. The RCA outputs are "low level" and will not power speakers.

Connecting 4 channels to 6 speakers depends on if the amp can handle the ohms of the speakers if there is more than one speaker per channel. Series or parallel wiring are factors to consider also. A buddy of mine had a 4 channel Alpine amp, with 2 of the channels powering a single sub, and the other two powering his front and rear Alpine components wired in parallel. I run a Rockford Fosgate Punch 60 to power a set of Infinity Kappa components and a set of Infinity Kappa 6½" coaxials, wired in parallel.

Btw, 80 watts is max, you'll have 35-40w RMS at any given time. Nothing special. You still would want to consider an aftermarket amp for anything of more quality.

What Im thinking on doing is running the front and rear speakers from the head unit sense they are low wattage factory speakers and remove the factory amp and replace with a 2 channel amp to push a cpl subs in the very rear. I dont really care about a super awesome system I just want something I can feel when I turn it up every now and again :)

Any suggestions would really be appreciated

Thanks again

Ummm...that's the way its supposed to be done.

hey i am half way through put a cd player and i am having trouble trying to get the souds to come out on my ford explorer can u help me

Is this a new head unit or a cd changer ?

OK - I finally got a chance to work on this radio. I bought a 200 watt 2 channel amp and installed a box with a couple of 8" and tweeters. WOW its sounds great :) Then I made bad mistake :( I ran too small of a wire to the amp from the battery - It called for a 8g wire and I didn't have one so I used a way too small wire. Started blowing fuses left and right. I thought I had finally blown the amp. But I replaced the power wire with a 8g wire and turned on and once again WOW. I feel like im luck everything still works. I won't make that mistake again:) Now Im going to install better speakers in my doors and get a 4 channel amp to run them. Will enough ever be enough ??

Back