installing factory tach cluster in 94 ranger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

installing factory tach cluster in 94 ranger?

musturbo

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ranger
I have a 94 2.3 that came with the base cluster. I have tried 2 different tach clusters and my tach still reads incorrectly, like an aftermarket tach set for 6cyl instead of 4. Is there any way to recalibrate the tach so it reads correctly? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...If it was the speedo I could help....I'm not familiar with your tach problem myself but maybe somone else will chime in...Good luck on your project...:D

The 4 and 6 cylinder tachs are the same. The 6 cylinder trucks have an extra ground wire in the dash harness that changes the tach scaling.

Any ideas on how to make it work in a 4 cyl truck? I appreciate everbody's input

Well, it should be setup correctly form the factory for plug and play. It wouldn't hurt to check yours. Here's the difference:

On the back of your cluster, there are two harness plugs.

Look at pin position 9.

4-cylinder should have no wire to ground
6-cylinder should have a black/yellow wire to ground

If neither of the above is true, you're looking at the wrong connector, so try the other.

Back