installing nurf-bars/running-boars x sprt '01 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

installing nurf-bars/running-boars x sprt '01

rama1200

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xls
I don't know what the deal is... i spent about 6 month looking for oem/eom/?? running boards for my 01 x-sprt, but noone had them (even the ford dealer were back-ordered for about 2 months , plus they are about $500... what tha !~@##@!$%$$@ ?)

anyway, yesterday, after much searching, finally came across a set at a local junkyard... they came from a 99 sprt, and were about $200...

I always thought they attached directly to the frame, but i can see that they go almost directly under the sidestep of the door...

I don't want to have to pay $$ to someone do it... it looks easy enough for me to do... only if I just get a begenning point/hint...

I have no clue as to how to install them... and I don't want to damage the trim, etc. ... any suggestions?

the '99 x-sprt running boards should fit my '01, right??? at the junkyard, they looked the same where the running board should go....

Thanks.

PS: pic are very welcome

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey man i got running boards alread on my 01 sport... they connect to the body.. thats whats nice cause if you do a body lift like me.. the steps go up to.. and then you cant see the subframe.. but yea the mounting points are on th body so the first thing is your looking in the wrong place i would def think they fit as long as you got them off another sport... but they do look a bit different than mine i know my friends older sport are kinda smaller and not as thick...so could be different but im sure you can find sumwhere under there to mount them up

Dang I wish you would have checked the for sale forums. I have a set at my house that I can't get rid of. lol.

leetz said:
Dang I wish you would have checked the for sale forums. I have a set at my house that I can't get rid of. lol.
yeah i know... but i did check them...
yesterday i went back home and try to install them, just to find that they WILL NOT FIT. so i guess that settles that, the brakets don't come out far enough away from the car, and the hole pattern doesn't match...

i guess they have to come from an '01 +...

Thanks guys

I just posted in your thread in the for sale area, check it out.

hey you might be able to get a sport trac to fit if you come across those so see if anyone else thinks so ...

Sport Trac ones are going to be too long I think.

I measured some that came from a 98 4-door.... they were long enough to go from where the wheel bay starts in-between the wheels, but the brackets did not work; they did not stick out far enough away from the body... if a sportrac's are the same length, they might do the trick... the main thing I need to see is if the brackets fit the body... if this works, then I just might install them, and even if they are too long I might cut the xtra-tips and replace with shorter plastic ones...

My nerf bars are rusting in places where the "tread" you step on meets the paint. I wonder is this something that the dealer might cover under the rust warantee? The truck was bought used.

Actually, now that I type this out I think I know the answer :rolleyes:

Almost all bars I've seen have at least some rust on them...

rama1200 said:
actually all of them (even on new cars that have been sitting at the dealer's lot for a while) have rust... weather takes its toll... maybe just prime and paint a bit???

atleast you have some.... unlike me that I'm struggling to buy some...

Mine came with the truck - not sure if I would have preferred running boards as I think they are a cleaner look. To be honest, the bars / boards are for chicks. I really only use them when I am cleaning the top of the X, other than that they just get in the way. I do like the way they look and that is why they are still on.

spta97 said:
Mine came with the truck - not sure if I would have preferred running boards as I think they are a cleaner look. To be honest, the bars / boards are for chicks. I really only use them when I am cleaning the top of the X, other than that they just get in the way. I do like the way they look and that is why they are still on.
I know... my wife complains about having to jump in to the car every time we drive mine... well when I bought my truck I didn't think I was going to keep this long... so I chose the simpler style... now that I can't sale it, I find myself in the position of transforming it in to what I would've purchase planning for the longer run... first of all I would have not gotten a 2-door...

but oh well, it is here to stay... I actually thought of finishing paying it off, keep it and give to my son; that way when he grows up it could be a classic!

i love my ex but i highly doubt it will remembered as a classic... :(

Back