instrument cluster lights and tail lights do not work?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

instrument cluster lights and tail lights do not work??

mydland89

Reaction score
City, State
Hornell, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Black 5.0 AWD XLT
Intrument cluster and tail lights dont work??? help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,.
I am writing this for a good buddy of mine that is not internet friendly...he has a 1997 ford Explorer, 4.0 ohv 4x4 and he says that both his instrument cluster and his tailights do not light up???

I thought it might be a fuse or relay.....has anyone seen this one before? I don't think that it is the multi switch because everything else works fine.....please if any of you kind folks have had any experience with this problem let me know what you think could be the culprit.....thanks

Murph

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't mean to sound rude but did anyone check the fuses? :confused:

uhhhh, I am a electrician.....what do you think???...It is NOT the fuses....me thinks that problem lies in the wiring harness area.....I got the schematic from alldata online...so this weekend I will ohm it out.....thanks for the suggestion anyways

I have that problem, everything work only if my interiors are on too. Funny thing is that now when I ride my puddle lights are on the entire time and when I open my doors my headlight come on. My illuminater only works if its turned up all the way

The headlight switch is probably bad. the Contacts on the rear of it fail, and the harness melts.

Crankcase said:
The headlight switch is probably bad. the Contacts on the rear of it fail, and the harness melts.

i would put $ on the switch, some idiot me wired driving lights into the parking lights, it worked for a year, then one day no lights same as your buddy. any way the switch for a 1st gen was $3.85 i do not know what yours will run, i did have to take the black face plate off and knob to put them on the new one,

ps bring your old one to the store

Charlie's_93EB said:
i would put $ on the switch, some idiot me wired driving lights into the parking lights, it worked for a year, then one day no lights same as your buddy. any way the switch for a 1st gen was $3.85 i do not know what yours will run, i did have to take the black face plate off and knob to put them on the new one,

ps bring your old one to the store
What store? Ford Dealer?

these may not help but the new one is on the left and looks nothing like the old till you rip it apart

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 893
  • aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 857

id put money on the switch too my mustang had a similar symptom and it was the headlight switch

Back