Interchangable T-Case Parts

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
I just got back from the junkyard and have found a few parts that I will be going back to get. They just got in a 1984(I think) Bronco II with a manual t-case, so if it is an '84, then it has the 1350. I am very eager to swap in a 1354 manual, but have had trouble finding the t-case locally.

So my question is, what parts from the 1350 will interchange with the parts from the 1354? I assume the shift knob and shift boot will interchange, but I want to know about that and the other parts before I buy anything. Also, does anyone know if the transmission hump plate from that will bolt up?

Thanks in advance, Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i thought the only difference between the two is the output for the front driveshaft?

There are also internal differences.

BTW, I'd like to pick up these parts tomorrow morning, so if you guys have ANY info about this please let me know. :)

I thought the 1354 was the electric shift T-case ?

They made the 1350 manual, 1350 electric, 1354 manual, and 1354 electric.

Ah, thanks for explaining that.

im in the process of putting a manual 1354 in my 2nd gen right now.. and it didnt come with the shift linkage or shifter or anything so i'm using one from a 1350 (bronco).

this'll be brief since, when i finish, i intend to do kind of a mini-write up on what needed to be done .. but just to give you an idea.. here's the shifter sitting on a 5r55e before i started cutting:

shifter_on_5r55e.jpg

the body lift on the X was going to make for a really short shifter so i moved the shifter up a few inches.. and because of this, the arm angles needed to be changed (the arm on the shifter and the arm on the t-case).

the shifter bracket mounts to the transmission's tailhousing via 2 bolts... these holes on the shifter bracket didnt line up with the holes on the 5r55e's tailhousing (i have two 5r55e's and the bracket didnt line up to both of them).. so the rear mounting hole on the bracket needs to be moved back:

shifter_mounting_offset.jpg

as for the shifter itself, the 1350 and the 1354's shifter is interchangable since the shift patterns/positions are the same... but for me, there is a center console thing sitting on top of the tranny tunnel so i couldnt just put a hole there for the shifter.. so i also had to offset the shifter a few inches to the driver's side since i didnt really want to lose the center thingimajig (it houses air to the rear passenger vents)

i have the 1354 mounted in my X but not the shift linkage and shifter since thats still under development (i just keep the t-case in 2-Hi for now)... but i plan to be finished in about 2 weeks or so (school and work is bleh) .

Thanks for the info IZ. I might pick up the shifter too since you said it's interchangeable. I already got the shift knob and boot today. Good luck on completing the project. :)

here are the three styles of shift levrs ihave found on the 1350 and 1354 the first pic is of the lever for a 1354
second pic is of a lever for a 1350
third is a pic of a lever on a 1350 but will work on a 1354 with some grinding
other than this lever the rest is the same.
the transmission cover plate is diffrent between the explorer and bronco2 but when you remove the plate on you explorer on the bottom of it you will see a pattern to cut out for your shifter to come throu

98831354_lever.jpg

98831350_short_lever.jpg

98831350_long_lever.jpg

Thanks for the pics Joe. I will be sure to take them with me if I go, to make sure it will work with the 1354.

the lever i'm using is the one in the 2nd picture.. i ended up cutting the bottom "L" part off and i welded on a flat stock so that it looks more like the top arm.

:D

Back