Interesting find - REAL WOOD center dash bezel overlay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interesting find - REAL WOOD center dash bezel overlay

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
Interesting find - REAL WOOD 2nd Generation Ford Explorer Center Dash Bezel Overlay

For the 1998 - 2001 model years of the 2nd Generation Ford Explorer with the “Limited Trim” Ford installed a faux wood (hydro dipped wood pattern) center dash bezel (see last photo). The door inserts on these 2nd Gen Ford Explorers also had faux wood inserts that were plastic welded to the door panel. Some of the 98 - 00 Saleen XP8 Ford Explorers also came with faux carbon fiber/faux wood center dash bezels as well.

As part of my project vision I have been trying to imagine what Ford might have done if they had maybe made some more elaborate interior upgrades.

The whole concept of the ongoing BIG WHITE Ford Explorer project is to create something along the lines of what Ford might had done in an alternate reality year 2000 had they decided to create a limited special edition Ford Explorer that had not only luxury (far exceeding anything on the market) but also high performance - perhaps in a partnership with Saleen & SVT - which would have sold for $60k to $80k or more…… in the year 2000

I imagine as part of the interior package Ford might have fabricated some “real wood” trim pieces or overlays to replace/enhance the cheaper appearing faux wood hydro dipped pieces found on the “Limited” I’ve recently been thinking about having some bezels either custom fabricated or otherwise enhancing the existing pieces to upgrade the interior quality to meet my project vision goals.

Now I recently acquired this very interesting piece. A REAL WOOD overlay. This is the 1st time I’ve ever seen something like it. Not sure who made this or what kind of wood it’s made of but it’s cool. Has anyone ever seen something like this before made of actual wood?? Can anybody tell what kind of wood this might be made of?

I did some test fittings (not pictured - look for a future post) over my existing stock Ford faux wood hydro dipped center bezel and it really look amazing and brings up the interior appearance. This overlay blends in really nice with the stock piece and it truly looks as if something that Ford might have done in some alternate reality. When combined with the other interior upgrades I have planned I think this might be a winner and I just think it’s such a cool find. Better yet it saved me some time and money from having my own piece fabricated.

#saleenexplorer #xp8explorer #saleenxp8 #saleenexplorerxp8 #Saleen #saleenfordexplorerxp8 #xp8explorer #saleenxp #saleenfordexplorer #Ford #fordexplorer #saleenlife #saleens #saleenperformancevehicles #saleenperformance #saleennation #saleenonly #saleenspeedlab #saleenmustang #fordexplorerfans #fordexplorers #xp8 #fordexplorerxlt #fordexplorereddiebauer #fordexplorerxp8 #fordexplorerlimited #powerdynesupercharger #powerdynesuperchargers #2000fordexplorer #SuperchargedFordExplorer #bigwhitefordexplorer

653A290E-C517-482A-B037-0498FE1BB36B.jpeg 0CFB51F2-A653-45B4-89EC-B62FC480E8B5.jpeg 95AC231C-1B5F-4193-AE73-183E8C009D1B.jpeg FC7DCED3-8D60-4CAC-A729-A0F4C12FC745.jpeg 99F9988F-72B8-4605-B47B-0C65A1DCFE10.jpeg

Interesting find - REAL WOOD 2nd Generation Ford Explorer Center Dash Bezel Overlay

For the 1998 - 2001 model years of the 2nd Generation Ford Explorer with the “Limited Trim” Ford installed a faux wood (hydro dipped wood pattern) center dash bezel (see last photo). The door inserts on these 2nd Gen Ford Explorers also had faux wood inserts that were plastic welded to the door panel. Some of the 98 - 00 Saleen XP8 Ford Explorers also came with faux carbon fiber/faux wood center dash bezels as well.

As part of my project vision I have been trying to imagine what Ford might have done if they had maybe made some more elaborate interior upgrades.

The whole concept of the ongoing BIG WHITE Ford Explorer project is to create something along the lines of what Ford might had done in an alternate reality year 2000 had they decided to create a limited special edition Ford Explorer that had not only luxury (far exceeding anything on the market) but also high performance - perhaps in a partnership with Saleen & SVT - which would have sold for $60k to $80k or more…… in the year 2000

I imagine as part of the interior package Ford might have fabricated some “real wood” trim pieces or overlays to replace/enhance the cheaper appearing faux wood hydro dipped pieces found on the “Limited” I’ve recently been thinking about having some bezels either custom fabricated or otherwise enhancing the existing pieces to upgrade the interior quality to meet my project vision goals.

Now I recently acquired this very interesting piece. A REAL WOOD overlay. This is the 1st time I’ve ever seen something like it. Not sure who made this or what kind of wood it’s made of but it’s cool. Has anyone ever seen something like this before made of actual wood?? Can anybody tell what kind of wood this might be made of?

I did some test fittings (not pictured - look for a future post) over my existing stock Ford faux wood hydro dipped center bezel and it really look amazing and brings up the interior appearance. This overlay blends in really nice with the stock piece and it truly looks as if something that Ford might have done in some alternate reality. When combined with the other interior upgrades I have planned I think this might be a winner and I just think it’s such a cool find. Better yet it saved me some time and money from having my own piece fabricated.

#saleenexplorer #xp8explorer #saleenxp8 #saleenexplorerxp8 #Saleen #saleenfordexplorerxp8 #xp8explorer #saleenxp #saleenfordexplorer #Ford #fordexplorer #saleenlife #saleens #saleenperformancevehicles #saleenperformance #saleennation #saleenonly #saleenspeedlab #saleenmustang #fordexplorerfans #fordexplorers #xp8 #fordexplorerxlt #fordexplorereddiebauer #fordexplorerxp8 #fordexplorerlimited #powerdynesupercharger #powerdynesuperchargers #2000fordexplorer #SuperchargedFordExplorer #bigwhitefordexplorer

View attachment 431839 View attachment 431840 View attachment 431841 View attachment 431842 View attachment 431843
i wonder if instead of the beige interior if they did more of that football color leather like today! im really digging this build!

color wise looks really close to cherry or some mahogany, was it african? not too sure

ive heard of real wooden overlays iirc @GJarrett had one from was it daytona dash? but that looks reall good, surprised it looks that good because usually real wood youll get diffeent grains slightly different shades etc

i wonder if instead of the beige interior if they did more of that football color leather like today! im really digging this build!

color wise looks really close to cherry or some mahogany, was it african? not too sure

ive heard of real wooden overlays iirc @GJarrett had one from was it daytona dash? but that looks reall good, surprised it looks that good because usually real wood youll get diffeent grains slightly different shades etc
Not really sure what type of wood that it is but I’m going to have it looked at because I’m curious. I’m thinking that these were probably part of one of the aftermarket dash kits from the early 2000s perhaps. I think I remember reading years ago that they used to make overlays on some of the higher end kits made of real wood and this might be a piece from one of them. The quality is pretty impressive and it fits perfect and blends in with the stock faux wood piece to be convincing and nice looking enough that I might go ahead and install it. I’m switching over from my all-wheel-drive bezel to a four-wheel-drive center faux wood bezel as I am repurposing the auto four-wheel-drive switch (with new Oem labeling) for one of my engine upgrades.

Not really sure what type of wood that it is but I’m going to have it looked at because I’m curious. I’m thinking that these were probably part of one of the aftermarket dash kits from the early 2000s perhaps. I think I remember reading years ago that they used to make overlays on some of the higher end kits made of real wood and this might be a piece from one of them. The quality is pretty impressive and it fits perfect and blends in with the stock faux wood piece to be convincing and nice looking enough that I might go ahead and install it. I’m switching over from my all-wheel-drive bezel to a four-wheel-drive center faux wood bezel as I am repurposing the auto four-wheel-drive switch (with new Oem labeling) for one of my engine upgrades.
i would guess it was from one of those, im 99% sure theyre not factory! has to be higher end for them to look matching for the real ones! make sure to post yp some pics!

Back