Interior lights and rear power folding seats ISSUE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior lights and rear power folding seats ISSUE

CFClagg

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake Beach, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, Explorer, Limited
2016 Explorer Limited 78000 miles

Quick backstory from the last 30 days- Had clogged moonroof drains in the front. I cleared the drains and replaced the moonroof motor since it was bad- the roof wouldn’t close. Works perfectly now. (Side note! Dealer wanted $2,100 to replace sunroof motor. I did it for $200 in less than an hour!)

BUT after replacing the moonroof motor I now notice the interior lights don’t come on when I click them manually. They turn on when I open the door or hit the button on the left side of the dash. But not when you press them. My rear power folding seats also do not work. Are these things related to the sunroof problem? I don’t use the rear folding seat buttons often so I don’t know when it started. But now my seats are stuck in the folded position and I can’t move them. No noise from them trying to engage. I also pulled the fuse and it’s fine.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you checked the fuses? There is a fuse for the Demand Lights and one for the Courtesy Lights. Your issue is with the Demand Lights, According to your manual, fuse #1 in the cabin fuse box and it also controls the Battery Saver program. #78 in the engine bay is for 3rd row power folding seat module relay.
That's where I would start and I don't see a connection between the two.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you checked the fuses? There is a fuse for the Demand Lights and one for the Courtesy Lights. Your issue is with the Demand Lights, According to your manual, fuse #1 in the cabin fuse box and it also controls the Battery Saver program. #78 in the engine bay is for 3rd row power folding seat module relay.
That's where I would start and I don't see a connection between the two.

Peter
I did pull fuse 78 and It wasn’t that. I will check # 1 in the cabin if I can get to it. I tried getting under there to check the fuse for the roof motor and has trouble reaching.

Swapped fuse # 1 in the drivers dash. That fixed the demand lights. Still no dice on the power folding seats. Ordering fuses for the others to try that. And of course my Ford Premium Care just expired on 8/17 🤬

Swapped fuse # 1 in the drivers dash. That fixed the demand lights. Still no dice on the power folding seats. Ordering fuses for the others to try that. And of course my Ford Premium Care just expired on 8/17 🤬
Perhaps you caused a short that blew the fuse when working on the motor. As I mentioned before, I don't see a connection between the two issues so the problem with the third-row seats could be the motor itself. Is there any way that you could check to see if there is power going to that motor?

Peter

I’ll have to look that one up. I’m unsure where the motors even are. Under the seat?

I’ll have to look that one up. I’m unsure where the motors even are. Under the seat?
I don't have an Explorer to check and from what I've found on this forum is that the same question was asked many times by several members with no answers provided. I don't know if this helps at all. There is also a module for the 3rd row power seats. Broken 3rd row seat power motor assembly

Peter

I got it!
I was able to get my hands on a new fuse for slot 78 and the map light fuse #1. It all works now!

I better cancel the service appointment I made. Thanks for all your help, Peter! Hope now it’s not something funny making the fuses blow. Could have just been a short since I had some water come in at the sunroof. But that problem is fixed as well now.

Back