Interior lights not working. Fuse? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior lights not working. Fuse?

92expl0der

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hi there new to forums. Just picked up a 92 explorer with 93k on it. The overheard dome lights and the lights on the doors do not work i am thinking its a fuse somewhere in the fuse panel under the dash? My haynes manual doesnt tell me which fuse controls the lights, does anyone know which one it is? My dash lights work fine. Just the dome and door lights. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...welcome here...:D

...it would be good to just go thru them all to see how many bad ones you have since you just bought the explorer....i believe it will be the fuse..;)

Definately a fuse, check your owners manual there is a specific fuse that is linked to the door and and dome lights

One other thought... do the lights not work regardless of which door you open? If it works when other doors are opened, then it's a problem with the door switch. Also, dome/courtesy lamp is fuse #14.

Ok I looked in my fuse panel and there was not a fuse in the #14 spot, so I put in a spare 20 fuse in place. My overhead lamps, door lamps, mirror lights and door chime all came on. BUT all would not turn off when the doors where closed. The lights and chime just kept on going. I pulled the fuse back out and I am going to replace that switch on the doorjamb that controlls the lights. Hopefully that solves everything. The previous owner probably removed the fuse so the battery woudnt drain, and the chime gets annoying.

I've heard of several fords that are notorious for their door chimers continuously going off because of the button on your doors that turns the lights off and on.

At work, we have a fleet of Fords, both old and new...ALL had this same problem. Get that button/switch replaced in your doors and that'll more than likely fix it.

Back