Intermittent loss of power...... help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent loss of power...... help!!

ddeblance

Reaction score
City, State
Waller, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer Sport Trac
My wife drives an 02' Ford Sport Trac that has about 70k miles. The last few months my truck has been in the shop so I've been driving it. I noticed three times in the last couple of months that when we leave the house I get out on the main road and give it gas there a loss of power. What I mean by loss of power is during acceleration the rpm's drop and there's no response from the accelerator for about two seconds. This has only happened in the morning. Other than that it runs great... No missing, no bad idle, nothing.
I've heard that the O2 sensor has a tendence to go out in this model truck. Could this be the cause?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I'm not sure of the exact year, but you might have the throttle by wire system. They are pretty troublesome from what I've read from other people here. Ford has programmed it so that it isn't that responsive (they don't want it to be driven hard while it is under the warranty).

Thanks for the welcome. Wish I could be looking throught this forum under better circumstances :( ..lol..
The thread you posted doesn't seem like the same thing. I can floor the accelerator after it dumps and it's very responsive. For a small engine it has some git-up-n-go. It doesn't have a bad idle most of the time. After it's warmed up and your sitting at a red light you might feel an occasional bump but nothing I wouldn't expect from a 02' with 70k miles. We drive about 40 miles to work in the mornings and it doesn't give me anymore problems. Someone else suggested that I have the computer scanned for codes. If no codes exsist then it's possibly a fuel pump problem and since there are no fuel pump sensors then the computer wouldn't know and shouldn't have errors logged.

You could have a bad fuel pressure regulator, or a clogged fuel filter. Did you put a fuel pressure gauge on it to test how much PSI your system has at idle? A normal system should have around 40 PSI for multiport fuel injection.

Back