Introducing the first Explorer Sport QuadPod | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Introducing the first Explorer Sport QuadPod

I am running the factory 5r55E that came with the truck. The truck currently has 280 thousand miles on it but when i checked the warranty history on the ford tech site i think i remember seeing that the trans was replaced around 40 thou. I would like to swap in the m50d if this trans goes, its just hard to come by one with the 4wd extension housing but im sure i can find one in a junkyard ranger or online or something. I would also love to get my hands on an Atlas t/case but today those are rare as gold.

My goal is really a combo of max torque and acceleration. I dont plan on makin more then 5 or 6 pounds on this setup but if i do build a motor and find an m50d with all parts needed then ill prolly go with a ported m112. I wonder if theirs anybody out there that can rebuild the M50D to handle decent torque or if their are any transmissions I can get that will handle decent torque and retain 4wd and be stick shift.

BTW streetrod I don't think your throttle body was designed to be for a Mustang GT. Every throttle body for the 4.6 that Ive seen with the plastic arm has been for the F150. I also ended up buying the VMS 75mm TB from the link in one of your previous responses. I just got it today but unfortunately the bolt pattern does not match up whatsoever. So I'm thinking about making a mold cast and pouring my own resin to make a 2 in thick 4.25x4.25 spacer that transitions from 75mm to 66mm although I cant see how to go about bolting it up if I do that so I'm most likely going to have to get an aluminum block and either drill the intake hole with a series of hole saws and do some grinding to transition it from 75 to 65 that way I can have bolt holes on each side wherever I want.

Also here are some shots of the cruise control cable setup I just did. One of the disadvantages of the the banshee kit is he says that cruise control wont work. So I ended up doing this. I might still get a longer cruise control cable out of an older crown vic or grand marquis, I'm pretty sure they are the same.
20170612_032531.jpg

20170612_032804.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my last post in the first picture you can see where the throttle cable brackets were rubbing the hood(you can really only see the one rubbing at this point but eventually their was 2 spots where they were rubbing, one for cruise control bracket that was brand new in that photo and one for throttle cable bracket). I had planned to cut out a little section of hood not to long after I made my first cruise control cable bracket but the cruise control cable bracket I made broke from closing the hood a few times and the engine torqueing over, so I ended up having to make a new one from scratch with nothing to trace because I had used the original bracket to trace the first one but then after I was done I had to cut it out of the way. I made the 2nd one by doing a little measuring and by constantly cutting little by little and continually test fitting the cable to see where I was, trying not to cut too much and eventually I think the 2nd one came out better then the first. The kicker is the next day when I was doing work in the garage I found the little piece of the original factory bracket that I had to cut away that I could have used to trace the 2nd CC bracket I made, lmao fml. So then I cut out a lil section of the hood as you can see here.
20170705_185011.jpg

Just found this thread.
I would like to say welcome to the boosted Explorer club, LOL.
Nice work on the super charger setup, I saw it on the thread about gifts etc.
Keep up the good work!

Nice job on the install
I like the moddbox pulley

Very clean. I'd probably install a oil pressure/temp combo like here:
MTX Digital Series "Dual Function" Gauges
I already installed an oil pressure sensor that's the second gauge up from the bottom. The top gauge I ended up going with does all sorts of stuff, wideband a/f, fuel pressure, intercooler system coolant temperature, voltage, and a whole bunch more. The top gauge hole didn't have a lot of space in the back so the gauge I actually ended up going with was pretty thin thankfully. Its a PLX DM6 multi gauge which also Daisy chains to multiple sensor modules hence why it can do so much. I'll try to find a recent picture of my interior along with new engine bay shots here

IMG_20200731_221516200.jpg

IMG_20200731_221626798.jpg

20170627_034711.jpg

20170627_043916.jpg

20170627_031339.jpg

Nice job on the install
I like the moddbox pulley
Can't wait to grind the snout down and go with some small ones and then after I build a proper performance motor I'll probably switch up to a cobra eaton m112 blower

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do next
All though your engine bay looks great

Did you have any more beuild pictures ?
DoD you rebuild your blower
What paint did you use

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do next
All though your engine bay looks great

Did you have any more beuild pictures ?
DoD you rebuild your blower
What paint did you use
Yeah I'm happy with the way the engine bay came out, with the dual alternator and dual battery and the custom belt drive setup. I do need to get a performance radiator and ditch the clutch fan and install an electric fan though. But yes I have a lot more pictures what I'll do is I'll make an album of every photo I can find of my truck on my phone and upload it to an album on my Facebook and post the link here so you can see everything I find on my phone here. No I haven't rebuilt this Eaton M90 blower yet, I do have a second one that I'm going to port and rebuild and paint etc. The paint that is currently on the blower is a wrinkle finish I think. I was trying to match the paint of the intake elbow plenum, which is more like a hammer finish but I'm really happy with the wrinkle finish paint job I did on the blower, and the paint feels much more sturdy and reliable and scratch resistant and heat resistant then just regular paint. I forget what brand and what color I got it pictured on my phone somewhere. The Eaton M112 that i have on my cobra with a stage 8 port and plenum port match with a venom cooler has a really nice paint job on it that I did too. I went with a high temp gloss black that is very good at dispersing heat along with clear coats. I did like three or four coats of black and three or four coats of clear but it looks real good on the Cobra too but I think I'm still happier with the wrinkle finish on my 01 BoostedXPLR Sport 2dr m90 lolz. Btw that m90 blower comes from a Thunderbird supercoupe with the supercharged 3.8. in order to make it fit with this kit and this motor you actually have to flip the blower over. It's kind of stupid the way they set up the supercharger discharge piping on the supercoupe. Plus I also have a really kick ass custom intercooler system and meth injection system that i built. The third gauge up from the bottom on my custom quad pod is a snow performance methanol injection controller with digital boost readout and the second gauge up from the bottom of the quad pod is an analog sweeping needle boost vacuum gauge. I designed both of those two bottom gauges gauge faces on a website. I think it was speed hut or something but I was basically able to make custom gauges of any size with any gauge face that I want with any color with any kind of gauge it was awesome. That's why they say SVT Explorer on them hahahaha

Oh sorry I got it backwards the bottom gauge is the analog boost vacuum gauge the second gauge up is oil pressure and the third gauge up is snow performance methanol injection controller with digital boost readout and the fourth gauge at the top is the plx multi-gauge, and I also have an SCT livewire TS on the right side of the rearview mirror. The truck also has a push button start and proximity entry with remote start. I also have a custom completely one off meyer home plow that I customized and I also made it like four to six inches wider than any of the other ones. But I better stop writing before I make a whole story ROFL. it's easy to forget how much you're actually writing when you use voice recognition LMFAO. They need to make it so that I can highlight like a paragraph of writing on my phone and then right click it and press a button to make the phone read the text out loud. If they had that capability with voice recognition on a phone people wouldn't have to text and drive. Plus I hate typing on a touch screen back when I used to have my envy touch or my Droid 4, they used to have actual keyboards I used to be able to text on my phone and listen to text without even looking at the screen which would probably help a lot of people that don't listen and text and drive. I mean there are some people out there that are fully capable of using their phone or a laptop and continuing to drive the vehicle but not many. I wish they still made keyboard phones

Back