iPod hardwire in '01 Sport w/premium 6-disc in dash system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

iPod hardwire in '01 Sport w/premium 6-disc in dash system?

doogz

Reaction score
City, State
metro detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
iPod hardwire in '01 Sport w/premium 6-disc in dash system? *Update w/pics!

I've got a 2001 Explorer Sport with the 6-disc in dash pioneer labeled factory radio. This is the system with the amplifier and subwoofer in the back rear panel. The back of the radio has three (3) plugs - one holds the radio controls (16 wires?) , one is for the amplifier hookup (3 wires used out of 20 "holes"), and I don't know what the third is.

What i'd like to do:
I've read on an older post that a person hardwired their iPod into the CD-OUT wires from the radio. In that radio, the signal was broadcast from the cd player to an amplifier, and then out to the speakers. It did not have the subwoofer and factory amplifier combination, however. The person used a blank CD to "trick" the amplifier, and used the iPod as usual. I don't have an AUX or SAT button on my radio, so short of getting a low-quality FM transmitter, this is my only viable option. I'd like the factory subwoofer to work in conjunction with the speakers. My current radio (from what I can gather) is that the headunit powers the front and rear speakers (there's 4.), while another signal goes to the amplifier in the back which powers only the subwoofer.

Any ideas? I've found plenty of options for the non-Premium systems, but this is throwing me through a loop about how to get the subwoofer to work with this setup. There's no line-in on the radio.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've about exhausted my search and may concede to one of two options:

1.) Wired FM transmitter
2.) New headunit with AUX inputs ;)

Anyone have anything good to say about a wired FM transmitter?

Can you locate a photo of the front of your changer? Some 6CD changers have a 'CD' button.

To test if your unit can handle a converter that fools the unit into thinking the converter is a changer, press the 'CD' button. If the display shows 'NO CDDJ', it is external changer enabled.

I ask this because your post seems to state that you have the open, square 16 pin port in the rear of the radio, which is commonly used for external changers (the unknown third port).

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

There's all the connectors and the radio in question. I went ahead and hard wired an FM modulator, but I can't stand the quality for much longer!

When you pop it back in, hit the 'CD' button on the bottom left. Do you get the 'NO CDDJ' message? I ask because your radio has the correct ports, but I have no idea what is using your 6x3 port (the square one). Let me also see if I can get a wiring diagram from someone to pinpoint the usage of the wires.

AdamCKach said:
When you pop it back in, hit the 'CD' button on the bottom left. Do you get the 'NO CDDJ' message? I ask because your radio has the correct ports, but I have no idea what is using your 6x3 port (the square one). Let me also see if I can get a wiring diagram from someone to pinpoint the usage of the wires.

Thanks for your help.

When I press the CD button, it plays whatever CD is in the changer. Should the charger be emptied of CD's? Do I have to do something special for it to display that message, whatever it may be? (Not being a smartass, but i'm clearly missing something :cool: )

My best guess on the 6x3 would be rear seat controls...

if you decide to swap out the factory changer for an aftermarket one and are interested in selling the factory one, let me know. Good luck with whatever you decide.

-Rich

Back