iridium spark plugs and wires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

iridium spark plugs and wires

balasi

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 explorer 4.0 flex, 161K miles, owned since 2005 w 40K miles. never replaced spark plugs.

im considering iridium plugs. Any recommendation between NGK TR55IX 7164, Bosch 9608, Autolite xp 103 or another iridium brand. I would go platinum also if highly recommended.

And what would you recommend for wires

any recommendations or suggestions will be greatlly appreciated. thanks in advance...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess would be 9 out of 10 on this forum would choose the OEM Motorcraft SP500 FineWire Platinum, Autolite APP103 Double Platinum, or XP103 Iridium's you mentioned. Carefully check "pre gapped" plugs at .054" and you're good for aother 70k minimum.
As for wires it's hard to fault the OEM Motorcraft, especially since they will be the correct lengths with no surprises. Also, avoid
Bosch plugs like the plague with these engines, do a search and you will see their scathing reviews..

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1414493,parttype,7212

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1414493,parttype,7224

03 explorer 4.0 flex, 161K miles, owned since 2005 w 40K miles. never replaced spark plugs.

im considering iridium plugs. Any recommendation between NGK TR55IX 7164, Bosch 9608, Autolite xp 103 or another iridium brand. I would go platinum also if highly recommended.

And what would you recommend for wires

any recommendations or suggestions will be greatlly appreciated. thanks in advance...

So I put the NGK TR55IX in my 2003 Escape last summer and I just put them in my 2004 Explorer 2 days ago. Time will tell if I made a mistake or not.

Autolite Iridium is what I've used. Iridiums were NOT OE, but are better than Double Platinums.

Motorcraft designed the plug that breaks in two, keep that in mind.

I would stick with Motorcraft. They worked in my car for 115K miles before I replaced them with another set of Motorcraft.

Agree Number4, V8 3V two-piece plugs were definitely not one of Ford's better ideas. Not their first boner :eek:, and won't be the last.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/boner

Also agree Tylerac. Why change what's been proven to work time and again? OEM plugs designed for the engines specific heat range.

so i take it do not buy bosch. and it's up to motorcraft (not iridium) and autolite and maybe ngk.

number4 how long and how many miles ago for the autolite iridium?

how about the wire set

I'd get iridium. Platinum withstands the voltage today's ignition systems put out far better than copper, but platinum is not a great conducter.
Every few years new technology comes out, Iridium is one of those. I've been running mine for 6 months or so.

I use NAPA's premium wire sets produced by Belden. It's a cool blue color too. Just go with a premium wire set.

I'll say it a million times, there are no deals on auto parts. There's just quality auto parts and crapy auto parts.

Iridiums

I have the 4.6L V8 and I used the AutoLite Iridiums (XP104) a couple weeks ago in my tuneup and the engine runs great. I used NGK boots. The plugs needed a little gapping, as a couple came out of the box a little narrow.

Back