Is it better to have Manual or Automatic Hubs? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it better to have Manual or Automatic Hubs?

If i engage the 4X4 on any surface its because i need it and want it ...why care about the 2WD low why should i need the 2WD except for highway use??? Anyway lol 4X4 or 2wd for normal use. I have switch in dash when i need power i dont use the 2 wheel low iput it in 4X4 thats all. Electric transfer case with swtich in dash 4X4 high and 4X4 low on auto hubs. Of course i use the 4X4 low on hard surface to pull something like helping another truck getting out of somewhere but i use the 4X4 only for this or get out of ice or snow.

i never use 4X4 low for other thing to pull something short distance or get out of the snow...doing long distance in 4X4 low would be stupid. If i have to do long distance then i use 4X4 high my 1354 transfer case is 1:1 ration on 4X4 high and 2.48 on low. I just engage the 4X4 high and both set of wheels push the truck. Thas all simpler than 2 low and other. Anyway what is your setup of transfer case?? what number ? what is your differential?

I also have a 1354 xfer case which is as you said a 2.48:1 ratio in low range. With my 4:10 gears and a 3.06:1 1st gear (I have a 700r4 transmission) I have a final drive in low range of 31:1 not including the torque multiplication of the torque converter. In normal mode (high range) I have a 1st gear ratio of 12.5:1 before the added torque from the converter.

when I need the extra grunt I use the 2wd low. I don't need it often but when I need it I have it. I can't do that with the auto hubs But if you never need and the auto hubs hold up then keep the auto hubs. Personally I like having the ability to use 2wd low, even if I rarely use it.

~Mark

Back