• Register Today It's free!

Is my trim/moldings paintable?

JUNKH34D

Reaction score
City, State
Elizabethtown, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I want my ugly gray XLT body moldings to be painted like the Limited's. Does this work well or do I need to by the Limited pieces and paint them to match?

MyX2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I painted my gray black years ago, I did not clear it but don't see why you couldn't.

I am wanting to do the same with mine, but since the trim pieces on mine are the textured grey plastic I am unsure what they would look like just painted. I could go ahead and use filler primer to build them up, but that seems like the wrong approach.

Filler primer won't do anything, you need the correct painted flares if you want true painted appearance like above.

Thread merge...

Filler primer won't do anything, you need the correct painted flares if you want true painted appearance like above.

Thread merge...

Yeah I didn't think that would work, plus the correct flares from Ford are ridiculously priced and I am not willing to spend that kinda money on them. Painting my textured flares would not look right and therefore I will be leaving them alone.

Forget the dealer, start hitting junkyards. The 2002's and 2003's are starting to show up...

Thread merge...

Thanks that's what I wanted to know. I might take them off and get them sprayed flat black until I can find some of the OEM painted parts.

There are several threads and how to's on this with pics

here are mine:
DSCF0827.jpg

DSCF0824.jpg

DSCF0829.jpg

Still, OP was asking about the smooth vs. textured trims for a true "Limited" type smooth surface painting... :)

Still, OP was asking about the smooth vs. textured trims for a true "Limited" type smooth surface painting... :)

Yea I was.....But for the time being I think the flat black textured pieces would look pretty sick and be a lot cheaper for now. Thanks for the info guys

Back