Is speaker replacement enough???

schadler

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '97 XLT V8 AWD
Hi-

I've always hated the muddy sound of my stock stereo ?CD changer in my 97 XLT. I also hate the resonant frequency around 200hz. Can I dramatically improve the sound with aftermarket speakers or satellites? I like tight, well balanced sound, not bass-heavy. Is the head unit the weakest link? I know many factory head units cap the bass at like 100hz to keep the speakers safe, and I was wondering if this is why my bass is so dull and midrange-sounding.

Also, does the stock double DIN stereo have pre-outs? If so, is the range on them good and worthy of a good amp? I don't drive it much, it's my wife's commuter, and she couldn't care much...but I hate the thing on trips. I don't want to spend a fortune. I used to have a Fosgate system in my car, 600 watts and 12 speakers...I don't want to get that nuts. I just want this thing to sound better than a K-mart boom box.

Thanks!

start w/ a new head unit and 4 channel amp .

The amp is your best bet. It will "tighten up" the sound.
Most people have the idea that distortion and poor sound is in the speakers, and replacing them will solve the problem. Buying a good amp will make a world of difference.

The stock HU has no pre outs.

When I replaced my HU with a JVC KD SH99, oh what a difference... then I replaced the stock speakers with Pioneer 3 ways and even more differennce... then I went with component speakers and a 50 x 2 amp... WOW is all I can say.

Good luck.....

Back