Is the windshield washer weird, or is it just me? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the windshield washer weird, or is it just me?

Huntsman06

Reaction score
City, State
UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, Explorer XLT
So I might be stupid. I learned yesterday that pressing the windshield washer button is NOT supposed to spray the fluid, only when the button is held down. Here I was thinking that my windshield washers just didn't work but didn't see the need to pay to fix it (I've sorta/wanted to use them exactly once, and that was early this week, since owning the car). Is holding the button for windshield washers a normal thing in most vehicles? The Toyota and the Honda I've driven in the past never had such a feature and simply pressing was enough to spray the fluid

Completely random topic I know, but I feel so stupid for just figuring it out now :confused:. I'm still amazed that after almost a year of owning my Explorer and reading/learning all sorts about it there are still stupid little things I haven't figured out yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pressing the button quickly and letting it go will cycle the wipers. Holding it down for more than a second will spray washer fluid and will cycle them 3 times after you release the button.

In the few vehicles that I've owned, it's always been press and hold to spray the washer fluid. All Fords.

Back