Is this a bad GEM module? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tylerr

Reaction score
City, State
Palmetto
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer xlt
My 1996 Ford Explorer is acting up, windows, speedometer, interior lights, radio, and abs aren’t working, I first decided to tackle fixing the windows all 4 didn’t work so I bought a master switch and that wasn’t it so I got a new relay wasn’t it, right now I’m thinking it’s the gem module also when I put fuse #25 in (the speedometer fuse) it freaks out and constantly unlocks the doors, gem rings and windows work for about 15 seconds then stop. While the windows do work they work on the same time as all the doors unlock. Can hear the relay clicking in the same time as the locks. Right now I’m just wondering if that can be anything else other then the gem, any opinions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look in the drivers door boot for broken wires look very carefully

Look in the drivers door boot for broken wires look very carefully
That was my plan for tomorrow but I don’t think it’s a broken wire cause I took the meter to it and the window control had power and the locks works work before I put that fuse in. Still going to check just in case tho.

My 1996 Ford Explorer is acting up, windows, speedometer, interior lights, radio, and abs aren’t working, I first decided to tackle fixing the windows all 4 didn’t work so I bought a master switch and that wasn’t it so I got a new relay wasn’t it, right now I’m thinking it’s the gem module also when I put fuse #25 in (the speedometer fuse) it freaks out and constantly unlocks the doors, gem rings and windows work for about 15 seconds then stop. While the windows do work they work on the same time as all the doors unlock. Can hear the relay clicking in the same time as the locks. Right now I’m just wondering if that can be anything else other then the gem, any opinions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Could be something shorting. The GEM could be on demand tested with Forscan. Cheap adapter, and a bit of a learning curve for the free app, but it works for a 1996 truck very well. You could command a self test, see codes, even command the door locks.

It may be easier to focus on one issue at a time, then finding the root cause, may or may not resolve more than one issue.

Some things like the radio, do not have any GEM involvement. This and the # of problems, makes me wonder if you have a low voltage condition, whether it be from a bad battery, alternator, connector/wire corrosion, bad ground, etc. Voltage too low can make the GEM do funny things when the GEM itself has nothing wrong with it.

Grab the wiring diagrams linked in my sig, which will show the various points along the circuits to use a multimeter to check for power and if it is 12V or drooping to lower voltage. Before doing that, you might also try grabbing a less important relay (like rear wiper) out of the under-hood distribution box and swapping it into the positions for the battery saver and accessory delay relays in the box up under the dash to the right of the driver's footwell... assuming that's where it is located on a '96. Wait, your accessory delay may be a different relay type, though you can still look at the wiring diagrams, for example the windows, and see the relay pinout and what and when it should have voltage present.

Back