is this enough amp (yes, ANOTHER question) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is this enough amp (yes, ANOTHER question)

Magicfan25

Reaction score
City, State
Central FL and WPB Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport SOHC
You guys sick of me yet?
The kicker solobaric S12L5s are rated at:
600watts RMS
1200 watts peak

The S12 L7s are rated at:
750rms
1500 peak.

the jbl bp 1200.1 has:
-Ohm Optimized, 1-Ohm Stable
Amplifier Type: Mono
RMS Power: 600W @ 4 ohms
Bridged RMS Power: 1200W x 1 @ 2 ohms
THD at Rated RMS Power: 0.1%
Speaker Level Inputs: Yes
Preamp Outputs: No
Built-In Crossovers: LP
Bass Boost: 0-6 dB
Frequency Response: 10-320 Hz
Channel Separation: n/a
Signal to Noise Ratio: >100 dB
Fuse Rating: 3 x 40 amps

I plan to run two 12s, not sure if I should get the L5 or L7. I know the L7 takes more power, but they say it doenst have better SQ...is it just louder?
but at any rate..
is it enough amp for 2 L5s?
is it enough amp for two L7s?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok the jbl 1200.1 will put out more like 1400 watts, they seem to be very under rated. Also they are stable at 1 ohm, they dont say it but there techs do. Alot of people do it and i have heard not one problem. Only probelm is no subsonic filter so you cant port without an external filter.

Yes 700 watts a piece is perfect in my opinion for two L7's

Go with the L7's... their reliability is better. Personally, I would avoid Solo barics and get 12" RF Power HX2 or Infinity Kappa Perfect. Square subs sound like poop. All they do is bass, not good bass, but big boomy, I wanna ghetto blast bass. The Kappa Perfects are aluminum cones, drop to 18 Hz ! and have sick power handling. If you want Rap bass, go with L7's. Anything else, go round. Speakers should not be any shape other than round in my opinion...

I'd say go with 2 12" l7s. I had 1 10" L5 in my ex and had about 600w going to it. I know that it was more than recommended but the sub sounded AWESOME! These solobarics take alot of power to sound good but once you give them that power, you will have more than enough bass! In my opinion, RF has gone to crap over the last few years and the solobarics are easily better subs.

Never thought to see this post brought back.
I ended up gettin 2 JL 12W3s and a JL 500.1 amp

get the l7s more power is better it will be alot louder and sound more quality because its the next level higher

What do you want? loudness or sqound quality?

getting SQ out of the L7s will require a huge box and a giant port tuned really low, not sealed box will get SQ out of those subs.

ummmm guys... I bought my subs back in august!!!!!

Originally posted by member02
What do you want? loudness or sqound quality?

getting SQ out of the L7s will require a huge box and a giant port tuned really low, not sealed box will get SQ out of those subs.
yes, I realized that earlier, I just wanted to mention to the other guy how hard it is to get SQ out of a L7

Back