Is this slinking sound the timing chain? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this slinking sound the timing chain?

ImpactF0nt

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT

I'm trying to figure out if this sound is the timing chain in my 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4. I don't know if it's on the video but you can hear at idle the engine shivers a little, its not really rattling but it is idling differently than it should be. In the video you can hear what sounds like slinking of something that you can start hearing when you rev the engine past 1k, and it speeds up with the engine, I think it sounds like the timing chain loosely spinning around the timing gears because a tensioner or guide broke but i don't know. The answer will determine whether I keep or sell the car so. Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Video don't work for me try posting on YouTube then post a link

I'm trying to figure out if this sound is the timing chain in my 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4. I don't know if it's on the video but you can hear at idle the engine shivers a little, its not really rattling but it is idling differently than it should be. In the video you can hear what sounds like slinking of something that you can start hearing when you rev the engine past 1k, and it speeds up with the engine, I think it sounds like the timing chain loosely spinning around the timing gears because a tensioner or guide broke but i don't know. The answer will determine whether I keep or sell the car so. Please help!

Fixed the video not working

Im not sure I don't hear it

I can hear it, and I’d say so. But the torque converter can make a noise as well. I recently picked up an ‘04 with the 4.0 and it has chain rattle in the back. The 4.0 noise is completely different than the 4.6. The 4.0 is weird.

Back