Issue with 96' Explorer 5 Speed. Clunk, vibrate from front | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issue with 96' Explorer 5 Speed. Clunk, vibrate from front

452films

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
3rd explorer, and I still can't diagnose every issue I guess.

I have a broken sway bar link as of rechecking today. Would this also cause a vibration at higher speeds. I have new control arms, new upper and lower ball joints, and new outer tie rod ends.

These could be 2 irrelevant issues, so I'm not ruling that out just yet.

When starting off on occasions, or sometimes switching between gears, theres a noticeable front end pop. It sounds like the type of noise a bad strut on FWD car would make, or even a ball joint popping back and forth before it lets go ( all ball joints look good, tie rod ends look good )
The second noise/vibration is once you get up to speed ( going to have to double check how fast, but I do know the noise gets louder and louder as you accelerate ). You can feel the vibration like hell in the steering wheel and shift lever.

I've never heard a wheel bearing make a similar noise, but I have also only owned ford explorers with auto 4x4 and f-150's, so maybe it is a wheel bearing. Maybe a CV axle.

Will go and check the 4x4 and see how it sounds. Not looking to start throwing crazy money into this thing either.

Broken end link can cause vibration at higher speeds, funky steering also. This may be way out there but have you checked your U Joints.

Back