Jerky Windows on 2014 XLT: Advice Wanted... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jerky Windows on 2014 XLT: Advice Wanted...

Reaction score
City, State
Fairview, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Picked up my 2014 XLT about a week ago from the local Carmax and absolutely have fallen in love with it... It's my 3rd Explorer over the last 20 years...

I didn't notice until this week (with the warm weather change) that the drivers side window is kinda jerky (in the first 4") when lowering.. The passenger window does it to a lessor extent. Some times (on my window) it's worse than other times.. Other than the slight jerkiness it goes up and down just fine...

My questions are....

1. Can I expect this problem to get worse?
2. I have a 90 day warranty with CarMax... What would you do? Ask them to fix this? Or is this a common issue I should just learn to live with and ignore?

I did a site search and see similar complaints with the older Explorers but nothing on this gen....

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely dry window run channels. Lithium Grease, WD-40, or the best IMO a silicon lubricant will do the trick.

Picked up my 2014 XLT about a week ago from the local Carmax and absolutely have fallen in love with it... It's my 3rd Explorer over the last 20 years...

I didn't notice until this week (with the warm weather change) that the drivers side window is kinda jerky (in the first 4") when lowering.. The passenger window does it to a lessor extent. Some times (on my window) it's worse than other times.. Other than the slight jerkiness it goes up and down just fine...
When my new 2016 did that with both the driver/passenger windows I had the Dealer look at it under warranty. They tried lubricant, no joy, days later the problem returned.
Finally the Tech pushed a long (12" + or -), thin/flat piece of window felt in the channel to fill in the little gap causing the wobble/jerk, that fixed it. The window glass now rides against that new felt and is tight in the channel. Not very elegant or 'factory' correct but it has worked for 7 years.

Peter

Peter
Nice one Peter, good find! I see that my memory is not so good... :hammer:
It was a piece of plastic foam they put in my window channel 'way back then'.
I quote myself from Post 115 (June 21, 2018) from that Thread: Windows stutter...

"On the 3rd attempt my Dealer installed a very thin strip of medium density black plastic foam into both the driver & passenger window glass channels to prevent the window glass from shaking as it moves up and down. It worked, no window shaking/stuttering for about a year now."

Back