Jumping Oil Gauge

mvw2k2

Reaction score
City, State
Miami , Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited 5.0
Hi Guys

Im a new member, Ive been a obeserver for a while now. Reading and absorbing bits and peices of info. So with that said i finally have a question actutally i have a few but this one is a easy to explain one.

Here is the thing, I have a Explorer Sport 2001, its got a 4.0 SOHC Engine, About 166000 miles on it. Just got it actually.So far i love it -:) But here is the thing, driving down the road after it warms up and i come to a stop or slow down the oil guage jumps.. From the low to the middle where it sits normally. When stopped and i rev the engine it does the same thing. Jumps around. I took a video of this with my phone and i have included the link. Sorry about the angle and jumpeness of the video. (and the angle) lool

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s241/mvw2k2/?action=view&current=083.flv

As you can see it jumps around as I rev the engine... Soo what could it be?. I checked the oil and there is more than enough.. and the engine is not overheating as you can see by the temp guage.

Is this anything to worry about? i have been reading that the guage is actually just a fake one ..

Thanks for reading my long post

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

might be a short or something? mine used to drop down to 1/4 from bottom and stay there, its now doing it again. remember is not a true gauge....all tho a perfect reason to add a real one lol, good luck

thanks guys for your input.. I will do a search and see if i can find where it is located. Appreciate your input.

My Mustang does exactly that too. It happens a lot in cold weather when I just start it. It jumps between low and mid for a few times till the engine warms up a little bit. I think it is just an connection problem, shouldn't a bit deal. I have been having it for, say, 2 years or so.

Back