K&N air filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K&N air filter

sarkman

Reaction score
I just added a plain old K & N filter to my Stock 99 Limited 5.0 explorer. Does anyone have Dyno information on what HP & Torque increase it may give? Also, what effect on it's fuel efficiency should I expect?

------------------
Thanks,

Sarkman

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont have dyno or any official info but I can tell you since I put mine it I have gotten faster response from the throttle. I have noticed about 2 - 5 mpg increase

------------------
Brian
97 XLT AWD V8
K & N Filter

I added a K&N drop-in two weeks ago, and I can tell a difference. The truck seems to accelerate a little faster. It seems to have a little more pep. I'm not sure about the mileage yet, as I have not quite used my full tank of gas (I drive my Buick for work some)...based on the half tank of gas I have used, in estimation I would say I am going to get 12-13 mpg in town driving (i have 3.73 gears and OHV 4.0 V6). But gas gauges are not exact, so I'm not sure yet.

It was a bear trying to get into the airbox though...it's a lot easier on my GM car...(2 minute job)...but on my Explorer I had to unhook vacuum tubes, and disconnect the entire air tube...it took me over an hour.

Rhett,

What year Explorer do you have? It takes me maybe 15 seconds to pull my K&N on my '96...so i assume you have some other year. Just curious.

------------------
ERIC H.
'96 XLT
"You can run, but you can't hide...my dogs track."

If you have the square filter, and the pieces dont want to move right, it can be a real bear getting it changed. Ive done mine in as little as 5 minutes to as long as 45 beacuse the top didnt want to squeeze on correctly.

Steven

------------------
Explorer Specs for all years of Explorers

My Eplorer

Back