K&N intake tube worth it, or more snake oil? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K&N intake tube worth it, or more snake oil?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't afford one....

Ha, good one. Let me know all about the big bucks you've spent on the couple bolt-ons you have on your Explorer.

Okay everybody the results are in and the 14.6 mpg to 16.3 mpg is the result of just opening up the factory air box intake to a 4 inch hole and adding the KN flat filter. Maybe not dyno scientific but street proven, just sayin.....:salute:

Add another two mpg with a shotgun blast to the airbox.

Btw, I'm getting those mileage results with 35" tires. That's proven over two years. I can break 20 hwy. It's behavior, not "mods."

There is a good reason an aftermarket intake is near the top of most people's to-do list for their build projects

There are actually several good reasons:
Marketing
They are cheap
The are easy to install
"bling"

How much daily driving above 4000 RPM to reap the benefits?

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/57-2528_dyno.pdf

^Exactly.

Yes high flow intakes work, but they only work once the ECU has switched to "open loop" and no longer listen to all those sensors and it just reverts back to a pre-programed fuel table (that runs on the rich side for safety sake). In most cases, the key to making more power is leaning out the combustion process. Adding more air to that pre-programed rich fuel table makes it slightly less rich and therefore makes more power.

When you stay in "closed loop" ECU operation (ie. 94.8% of the driving I do at least) the ECU is fully monitoring the combustion process and adjusting fuel as necessary to keep the EPA nazis happy.

So they aren't really "snake oil", but their benefit isn't nearly as far reaching as they claim.

Just saying, I've got a lot of money into my truck. A couple hundred bucks for an intake is nothing. It isn't that I can't afford one, it is just that it would be a waste of money to buy one.

Yup. But hey, for those who actually do regularly drive their Explorers at 3500+ RPM, if that's what they really want to spend their money on . . .

wth is snake oil? haha

How much daily driving above 4000 RPM to reap the benefits?

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/57-2528_dyno.pdf

Odd how the same vehicle ran on the dyno at the exact same time, to the second, with time to switch intakes... 12/13/2001 06:06:30 PM for both runs. That, or they had two vehicles with the *exact* same mileage. But hey, you actually have to write to them to request specific test documents, so maybe someone will do that and we can find out what exactly they did.

just my .02 worth, but one of the first thing i usually do, (if one is available) and (for larger displacement engines, Like V-8's) is to install the K&N, CAI. i have driven literally 100's of thousands of miles, and have found them beneficial to both MPG and power. especially when combined with a mild tune, even out of the box tunes, from power programmers. Of course i run better fuel, (not the 87 octane or whatever they have at the pumps as cheapest). and FORD ENGINEERS do HAVE to design their intakes to meet emission control standards, and of course a quiet sounding engine, and ride. (it is often a tradeoff to performance) K&N does not, except to get them approved for states like California.
just IMO, and practical usage. they work. no not a 20HP gain, LOL. but even 3-4, plus improved throttle response, and better MPG... FTW!!!

A little off topic, but where do u get K&N intake tube for $40??......

I have the first generation FIPK without the intake tube (now called gen II for the 4.0). Contacted K&N and they said it isnt possible to purchase the intake tube so I made one. Their site claims 5.86 HP. I know they wouldnt lie, companies want to make products for smiles-not profit, its not human nature.... Anyway, no disagreements with anyones claims/disclaims. The FIPK "seemed" to increase HP and mpg but that was so long ago, it could have been the sound it made. Since then I have changed tire sizes 4 or 5 times.

So, still interested in the tube for $40 since I already have the cone and I bought into the Hype that an intake, catback exhaust (Flowmaster), and throttlebody (BBK) would add some or any ponies to a 160HP 4.0.

Yeah, snake oil...got the FIPK on my X 4.0 OHV. Could have bought a lot of gas for what I paid for that kit. For the most part just got a lot of "power sounds" from under the hood and not much else. It looks cool but I had drilled the stock airbox in several places before I bought it and prolly had the same amount of airflow.

100% scam. My ohv explorer runs faster with the factory intake tube than it does with my 3inch one. I have an opened up air box with K&N panel filter and will be soon switching to a long life paper filter element. Intake is a waste get an SCT off ebay for 200 if your serious about more power and mpg.

It's not a waste at all. As the late, great Aldive once said, it's not any one particular mod that is going to make your truck, but rather the synergistic effect of all the mods put together. Sure you might not notice a huge increase from just an intake kit if that is your first mod, but you'll be happy you have it once you start adding other things to your truck that can take further advantage of your aftermarket intake's greater capability to reduce air turbulence within the tube, and flow more cooler air to your engine faster. There's a reason he shaved his roof rack, kept his truck waxed and shined for less air resistance, and he got great rwhp and achieved the 30mpg mark. I've based a lot of my mods and work off of his great posts on this site, and he always backed up his mod with scientific data. Search his former posts, the proof is all there in the numbers. If he found a mod didnt work, he explained why, and removed it.

He was hands down one of the best contributors to this forum, and I still go back and re-read many of his threads when I'm researching my next mods. RIP Aldive!

It's not a waste at all. As the late, great Aldive once said, it's not any one particular mod that is going to make your truck, but rather the synergistic effect of all the mods put together. Sure you might not notice a huge increase from just an intake kit if that is your first mod, but you'll be happy you have it once you start adding other things to your truck that can take further advantage of your aftermarket intake's greater capability to reduce air turbulence within the tube, and flow more cooler air to your engine faster. There's a reason he shaved his roof rack, kept his truck waxed and shined for less air resistance, and he got great rwhp and achieved the 30mpg mark. I've based a lot of my mods and work off of his great posts on this site, and he always backed up his mod with scientific data. Search his former posts, the proof is all there in the numbers. If he found a mod didnt work, he explained why, and removed it.

He was hands down one of the best contributors to this forum, and I still go back and re-read many of his threads when I'm researching my next mods. RIP Aldive!

Also having re-read his posts many of times makes me wonder why you are using his name to justify your opinion while you list in your sig modifications he proved with his own time and money to NOT make any gains in hp or mpg, even with the accumulative "add-ons" you (and Him) have made.

He stated in a post that with an aftermarket intake, e-fan, and cat back that he picked up 20rwhp and a few mpg's. I've done many similar of his tried and tested mods so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. I have another recent post after I did my header and cat install, where I picked up an additional 2.2 mpg hwy and shaved 0.5s off my 0-60. The numbers are all there, you can read them and weep, or start saving money to get more out of your own truck, the choice is yours!

Back