• Register Today It's free!

Kill Switch Ideas

dreilly1982

Reaction score
City, State
Panama, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer XLS
Ok, I apologize in advance if this has been covered already, but I didn't see anything in the search. I just picked up an '02 Explorer XLS that I'm in the process of upfitting as an emergency vehicle due to the number of calls I respond to off duty (I'm a paramedic). I'm thinking of installing a kill switch on my brake light sensor switch so I can leave the engine running, but preventing the transmission from being switched into drive. Wondering if anyone else has done this and/or any tips and suggestions you all might have.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need to push the brake down to make the nuetral safety switch shut off and allow it to shift into gear so idk what your reason for doing this is.

That's why, if he leaves the truck open and running anybody can take it, if he disables the switch then only he'll be able to drive it

If he puts a switch through the brake wire, he can flip the switch, so it cant be taken out of gear...

Lol

Replace the ECU bolt with a cotter pin and take the ECU with you after parking the vehicle
idea.gif

yes he can do that but now what happens if the switch is bumped while he is moving? i believe the safety switch has nothing to do with the brake lights it a separate switch i would have to look it up on the wiring schematics.

Replace the ECU bolt with a cotter pin and take the ECU with you after parking the vehicle
idea.gif

i like his idea but yeah i could be a little more helpful in a few more days when i have my discs on the explorers. give me a day and i'll think of something

You could go buy a keyed switch from AutoZone, and basically have a key you could take out for it, so you wouldnt be able to bump it...

he could do that, but you can still by pass it by shutting the car of and turning the key just enough to almost on and then step on the brake and then you can shift it into gear even if the the neutral safety is broken...ahh the joys of being a tow truck guy, u learn all the tricks to get them going

he could do that, but you can still by pass it by shutting the car of and turning the key just enough to almost on and then step on the brake and then you can shift it into gear even if the the neutral safety is broken...ahh the joys of being a tow truck guy, u learn all the tricks to get them going

Stepping on the brake wouldn't help, that's reason to put the switch, he turns the switch to off, then the brake switch will not do anything

haha what about a quick disconnect steering wheel? i'll take a look at mine when i get back state side to see if the switch would work

email the Montana Highway Patrol at MHPHQContact@mt.gov an ask for information on a "Halverson Switch" If you explain why you need the info , they will probably send you a schematic.

I don't know if the newer X's do it.. but on the 1st gen the hazards are back fed into the brakes.. That means "in theory" if you hit the hazards you may be able to take it out of park while its flashing.

I doubt they left that back door in, but its at least worth checking to make sure that can't happen..

But I like the idea of blocking the brake light signal path with a key or simple, hidden switch.

~Mark

That's actually a feature in a lot of remote starters. Put it in park, take the key with you, car either won't shift out of park or will shut off if someone tries to without the key in the ignition. I forget the name of the one that's used in a lot of police cruisers. It's not a remote start, all it does is let you take your key with you and keep the vehicle running, so it's a lot cheaper. Go to www.elightbars.org, I know it's been discussed there multiple times, and they'd probably be able to help you out more, since it's not Explorer-specific. Plus, you'll get a lot of kick-ass ideas for upfitting your vehicle. :thumbsup::D

Ok, today at work I did it......for $11! :) As soon as I get the pics off my phone I'll post a write up. Now I decided not to hide it, but it is keyed. Not too many real car thieves out here but will definatly deter kids from takin' it for a joy ride.

OK....here we go!! Step by step w/ pictures. (note that's my partner in most of the pictures)

This is the box for the ignition switch we used
3730173186_840283b643.jpg

Here's the ignition switch
3730173414_1910d63371.jpg

First thing is we unhooked the cable from the brake light sensor and tested to find the hot wire.
3730173554_f3a5584b4e.jpg

Then we cut the hot wire and spliced leads coming from each side of the cut.
3730173650_a4b93edb4b.jpg

Then we attached the lead on the connector side to the ACC terminal, and the lead on the hot side to the BAT terminal.
3730173752_187a6e19bf.jpg

Then we drilled and dremeled the hole for the ignition switch in the panel under the steering wheel.
3729374711_eab2282655.jpg

3730173864_19a132f5e5.jpg

Lastly, we inserted and tightened down the ignition switch, replaced the panel and tested!
3729375319_14ede834cf.jpg

Now the shifter can only be shifted out of park with the key in the "second ignition".....and as an added bonus I now have blackout drive mode!

Any comments or questions feel free to holler!

Althought your method is cheaper, I think the remote starter route would have been better..... I do the same and when I get out of the car all I do is press the start button on the fob and take the keys with me. if someone presses the brake the car shuts off... And at the end of the day I still have my keys...

I did think about that, but on scenes like MVA's out on highyways I need to make sure my lights stay on at all times...so this option works better for me than a remote start. If someone hits the brakes my engine is still running keeping my battery charged. Either way though it was quick, cheap, easy, and fun

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back