Knocking noise when steering slow speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knocking noise when steering slow speed

Shane.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
Seem to have a knocking noise when steering at slow speed, sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side. I dont notice it when normal driving

I have done some research and reading on this and it seems the common factors seem to be a sway bar link or strut mount, wondering how to diagnose this, is it just a case of laying under the car while someone turns the steering wheel?

Have a road trip next week and would like to try and rectify this by then

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably strut bearings. Notorious for failure in Fords.

Thanks, taking it to my buddies tonight. Ive noticed it when driving over rougher roads now to so suspension would make sense.

Have the same issue, at 26,000 miles! Should the strut bearings fail? 6 months out of warranty

So an update, we changed the strut mount and the bearings were screwed however the knocking isn't fully sorted. Looks like it may have worn the tie rod ends aswell as there was alot of play in the wheel. So that's next on the list to change

What about the front control arm bushings?
Since it is mostly noticeable at slow speeds, it could be the rear bushing on the front control arms(there's a thread somewhere on it).

Have the same issue, at 26,000 miles! Should the strut bearings fail? 6 months out of warranty
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I think you meant to show you have an XLT, not KLT.;)
Strut bearings seem to be a common problem with front end noises.

Peter

What about the front control arm bushings?
Since it is mostly noticeable at slow speeds, it could be the rear bushing on the front control arms(there's a thread somewhere on it).

Seemed to have a lot of play in the wheel and a clunk as it hits center. Bushings looked ok when we checked, thinking tie rods just waiting to find some time to do them

I'm getting a knock while turning. From the drivers seat it sounds like it is coming from the passengers side but if I stand at the passenger side is sounds closer to the center. I'm very curious to see what ends up being your fix.

Update: I replaced the sway bar link just for peace of mind and the clunk is still there. So I led underneath it while the wife was steering and it’s sounding more central. My guess now is an inner tie rod? Don’t want to keep replacing parts for the sake of it

So the latest update:
Haven’t got round to changing the tie rods yet as I’m still not fully convinced, the outers look good and there doesn’t seem to be any play in the wheel when the car is off the ground. Not sure if there is a way to check the inners. Going to get both wheels off the ground and see if I can get it to clunk and try to localise the issue before I throw any more money at it

So the latest update:
Haven’t got round to changing the tie rods yet as I’m still not fully convinced, the outers look good and there doesn’t seem to be any play in the wheel when the car is off the ground. Not sure if there is a way to check the inners. Going to get both wheels off the ground and see if I can get it to clunk and try to localise the issue before I throw any more money at it

if it's tie rod, you might not see the rod ends flexing or making noise when both wheels off the ground as both wheels will be free push/ pull while turning the wheel.

If you can, try and do it with one wheel on the ground. wouldn't need to turn wheel all the much. just a gentle shimmy left and right with the wheel should produce the clunk from tie rods.

I have a 2016 Limited AWD and had the "clunk" while turning the wheel in a parking lot. Currently at 70K. Ordered 2 new Motorcraft sway bar end links and installed them today. Since this is my wifes vehicle, after the repair, I drove it then had her drive it. She said the steering feels much "tighter". I asked her to listen for any more low speed clunks and if she hears it, I will replace the strut mounts. Seems to be a common issue. I did get the CPO warranty, but do not think it covers worn suspension components. Good thing is, after watching several videos, it doesn't look like an alignment will be needed if I replace just the strut mounts. Although, I may get one. Just put on Michelin Defenders and hate to chance premature wear on them.

It's a good idea to have an alignment with new tires- man she rolls up the mileage. She needs to get on the build thread with you Jon.

It's a good idea to have an alignment with new tires- man she rolls up the mileage. She needs to get on the build thread with you Jon.
Yeah, it's called "my kids play to many damn sports", lol. Looking at buying a low mile Flex.

Back