knocking sound only after warmed up at idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

knocking sound only after warmed up at idle

rathrbcruisin

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 5.0 AWD
I bought a 98 explorer with the 5.0 AWD from the original owner. He had receipts of oil changes and repair work done on it. I had to replace the egr tube, o2 sensor, and one of the vapor canisters and thought it was a good truck for a few years. changed the oil and used valvoline 5w30 maxx life and purolator pure1 filter. now i'm hearing a dull knock sound after it gets warmed up. like from home to work, 28 miles. if i rev it a little i cant hear it. I dont hear it on acceleration or when cold. I'm starting to think I got took on this and i'm wondering if he put lucas oil stabilizer in it to get rid of the knocking sound. I'd like to run it a few years but i'm wondering if it will make it, or if i'll even be able to get rid of it. I paid 3200 for this thing and do not want to put a new engine in it. #1 cant afford it. #2 dont have the tools for it.

wondering about putting lucas in it myself to see if that will make it last. :dunno:

Other than that I'm trying to think of what to do. Any ideas? Could this be nothing? I dont hear it from the top of the engine, only hear it from the drivers seat, or through the wheel well on the drivers side.

Back