• Register Today It's free!

KOEO & KOER Tests

iteotwawki

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4X4
After several attempts at trying to count the flashes, I decided to video a KOEO Test and a KOER Test and upload the video's to YouTube and post the links here to see if someone might help me with the results.

The way I read it, it looks like the system passed on the KOEO test, but I don't follow what's happening on the KOER Test. Sorry for the sound quality.

KOEO Test

KOER Test

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More information

The reason I did the KOER & KOEO tests is becuase my truck tends to bog down after a run doew the freeway. No CEL. a mystery.

Hi.. try cleaning the MAF and check for any vacuum leaks first. May also want to check the condition of the wires and plugs too. Good luck!

I can appreciate the inventiveness and pioneer spirit in doing the light flash method. I tried and maybe I just can't count... but you may be better off going to a place such as autozone or orielly's and ask them to do the codes. Most people here have had this done for no charge.

Also, a lot of people end up resetting the computer right away to get a fresh set of codes. You might do that first and save a second trip. Just disconnect the battery for 30 minutes.

I can appreciate the inventiveness and pioneer spirit in doing the light flash method. I tried and maybe I just can't count... but you may be better off going to a place such as autozone or orielly's and ask them to do the codes. Most people here have had this done for no charge.

Also, a lot of people end up resetting the computer right away to get a fresh set of codes. You might do that first and save a second trip. Just disconnect the battery for 30 minutes.

Thanks for the idea.

KOEO: 111 - System Pass.
KOER: 116 - Engine coolant temperature higher or lower than expected.

I can see the temperature gauge in the video and the engine wasn't up to operating temperature when you ran the KOER test, which is why you got DTC 116.

Might suggest a Ford OBD1 Code Reader for future use. Mine was about $30 at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Plugs into the stock diagnostic connector and reads off the codes on its screen plus memorizes them, real easy to use. Comes with a book telling what the codes mean.

KOEO: 111 - System Pass.
KOER: 116 - Engine coolant temperature higher or lower than expected.

I can see the temperature gauge in the video and the engine wasn't up to operating temperature when you ran the KOER test, which is why you got DTC 116.

Thanks Iron Weasel. I appreciate the read. Based on your comments I'll look at the video.

Might suggest a Ford OBD1 Code Reader for future use. Mine was about $30 at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Plugs into the stock diagnostic connector and reads off the codes on its screen plus memorizes them, real easy to use. Comes with a book telling what the codes mean.

Thanks for the tip arco777. As I plan to keep this vehicle for awhile, I'll invest in the tool. I love this forum. I can't image going back to life prior to the internet. The collective knowledge of explorer owners is invaluable.

Thanks for the tip arco777. As I plan to keep this vehicle for awhile, I'll invest in the tool. I love this forum. I can't image going back to life prior to the internet. The collective knowledge of explorer owners is invaluable.

The one I use is the Innova Model 3145. A picture is attached. It is also available online as cheap as $23.99. Works great.

Attachments

• 3145.jpg
    3145.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,732

I have an Auto X-Ray EZ-Read 2000 that does domestics & imports from 84 - 96 and most OBD-II functions 96+, but it won't do the newer CAN (Controller Area Network) systems on newer cars. I've had it for a couple years but its more than paid for itself two or three times over when troubleshooting problems not only on the Explorer, but also my other cars as well as vehicles for friends and family members.

Link to it here.

It's obviously up to you as to what kind of scanner you get, if you even get one at all. You can get cheap ones that just display a code and only work with one brand of vehicle and that's fine if you just want a basic reader. Personally, since I mess with a variety of cars and trucks, both import and domestic, I opted for a more expensive model that gave me more capabilities as well.

The one I use is the Innova Model 3145. A picture is attached. It is also available online as cheap as $23.99. Works great.

I got one too... I can't bring myself to buy the extension cable (which costs about as much as the tester itself).

Back