KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks

4x4sport

Reaction score
Stock Explorer shocks suck, they get shot after about 30,000 miles. Bilstein is the best shock out there if you want to keep your explorer at the stock height, but they are way too expensive. KYB are a japanese version of Bilsteins are I think are just as good. I just put them on my 1994 4x4 explorer and the handling improved dramatically, it's sturdy and doesnt bounce around like it did with my stock shocks. If you are thinking of shocks to put on, and not gonna put on KYB do not put on Rancho, they are not gas shocks and are only made for lifted wehicles. KYB Gas-a-just were the only thing that i put on my explorer and felt the big noticable difference. I recommend those for every explorer that is stock height. I got a set of 4 for about 130 dollars with tax. Bilsteins cost way more than that and you only get a tiny fraction of difference, i mean a tiny one, you couldnt tell if you were driving

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4x4sport,

I used to run KYB's in a lowered Mazda pickup and loved the handling. However they were stiff as hell in such a light vehicle. Really noticible in the rear as all the weight was in the front. I'm looking to get rid of the hobby horse ride of the stockers and was looking at the Gabriel VST and Monroes I was staying away from the KYB's as I really like the "luxury" ride of the explorer. Did you end up with a firm comfortable ride or more of a sport handling ride?

Thanks
hg

------------------
'91 EB, 4dr, 2wd
www.grimmick.com
hank@grimmick.com

do not get gabriels or monroes, they are pretty much just like stock shocks, they wont help out the handling at all, they might just smoothen up the ride, but to get sharp turn handling you need KYB. your explorer will lean a lot less on turns and bounce around less. its really noticable too.
like i said explorers are heavy in the back and rear suspension tends to get problems, so what ever you do get gas shocks. and i would recomend KYB gas-a-just for performance and good handling, any other gabriel or monroe are just gonna give u a stock ride. still gonna bounce around and lean a lot

I totally disagree!

I just put Gabriel VST's on my truck, and they are WAY better than stock; they ride and handle great, both on and off road. PLUS the only cost me $20! I think pep boys has free install right now.

------------------
93 Sport 4X4, 150k Mi, Llumar Metallic Tinted Windows, GTS Taillight Covers, Sony CD and Boston Acoustics drivers
Bosch +4's. Modified Airbox, Allied 8.5mm wires (Splitfire wires on order) 31x10.5's

Hi guys,

I broke down and bought the Gabriel's. See my comments on the Gabriel VST post.

hg

------------------
'91 EB, 4dr, 2wd
www.grimmick.com
hank@grimmick.com

Hi all,

I have a 2004 ford explorer eddie bower, 2wd with the 4.6 V8 and I want to get the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks because I do trailer a boat. Unfortunately I cannot find the KYB gas-a-just shocks anywhere....I can find the excel G KYB's but they are not the GAS-A-JUST model...Does anyone know where I can get the ones I need for a good price?

Bumping...Can someone confirm the part number for a 2nd gen? I got....
KG54309 Front
KG5490 Rear
Problem is my Rock Auto order I got has the 2 front's(silver) but the 2 rears while labeled as the same part number on the shock & the box, 1 is white & 3" longer then the other which is silver.

Back