One more time...KYB Excel-G or KYB Gas-A-Just? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

One more time...KYB Excel-G or KYB Gas-A-Just?

84FLH

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Vehicle
2000 Mounty. 349,600 miles. Runs/shifts/drives/steers/stops good.

Recent/Future Suspension Work
Just put on 2 lower ball joints (Moog oversized), 2 upper ball joints (Motorcraft), 2 front end links (Mevotech). New front hubs (SKF) last summer. Putting on new rear leafs and rear end links in the next week or two. Leafs will be Dayton 43-1159 from Auto Truck Springs (ATS) in PA.

Use
90-95% pavement daily driver. 5-10% dirt/gravel roads with ruts to 8" deep, up to 10 degree grade (think that's correct), and sections strewn with lemon to melon sized rocks, with occasional watermelon size rock.

Concerns/Preferences
One Amazon reviewer (Sept 2019) had Gas-A-Just on his 2000 Ex. Said he could feel every pebble at low/normal street speed, but shocks were very good at highway speed. I don't want to feel every pebble on my 50 mile round trip commute to work. I don't mind a firm ride but don't like harsh, slamming, or jarring ride. A firm bouncy ride is okay. Slamming, jolting, and jarring over bumpy roads isn't. Trying to find balance between too soft and too harsh.

Most every review for Excel-G were positive, citing good balance between comfort and firmness. Few reviewers claimed Excel-G too soft. Most reviewers don't say what type roads they drive on, what their driving style is, condition of other suspension components. So it's hard to gauge the shock when reviewers leave out pertinent info.

What say ye all?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's ridiculous. Gas-a-just aren't harsh by ANY standard on Explorer applications. They are pretty cushy in fact with noticable and obvious improvements in cornering stability over OEM. If there is a debate it should be between the
Monomax and Gas-a-just.

Ride quality is very subjective and you're going to get many different opinions. I, too, was looking for a happy medium between soft and firm and decided to try the Gabriel Max Controls. Don't know for sure if it was the shocks or the new ball joints/tie rods/Michelin tires...but, the truck's ride was greatly improved over what it was. BTW...my truck only sees pavement/blacktop

I use my 96 EB for 95% road use.
I installed the Rancho 5000 RS5229's. Great road manners.

@alvawayne

NOTE: I have a 2 Door 4X4 Ex.

I like Excel-G's so much that when I wore out the first set at 130,000 miles, I bought another set and currently have approximately 86,000 Miles on them.

My Ex is 100% Street & Highway Driven - BUT - in the PRK, we have third world quality streets & highways, so my ride needs to be able to soak up a lot of road abuse!

The Excel-G's are a little stiff when you first install them, but in a few months they loosen up just enough to return a great ride that offers a comfortable ride as well as just enough performance so that I have confidence through the corners when encountering potholes - no bouncy float and skip, they keep my tires connected to the road.

My preferred tire is Bridgestone REVO 2 - BUT - sadly I see they have discontinued my Ex's tire size - 235/75R15 LT (Light Truck)
I'm bummed out on that, but have about 25,000 miles left on the current set.

Back