• Register Today It's free!

lame rotor question

mcelwajy

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Eddie Bauer
So I set out to the brakes today, not realizing that my rotors are 55 each. Can I put 4wd front rotors on my 2wd? I've searched and can't find a definite answer. Only reason I'm curious is the 4wd rotors are about half the price. ANy ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe so. With 4WD rotors you have the cv axles ( I think, I don't have a 4x4) coming through the spindles and part of the rotor i'd imagine, because of the hubs.

With 2wd you don't have any of this, plus the spindle kinda juts out, and you have the bearing sets.

So I would say no, you wouldn't be able to swap them through my logic.

No.. 4x4 and 4x2 rotors are different and cannot be interchanged.

No.. 4x4 and 4x2 rotors are different and cannot be interchanged.

Ditto. Look at the two, you will realize why one cost allot more.

What's wrong with your current rotors? If they are warped, consider getting them turned.

While on the topic of rotors...

I have a '05 Eddie Buaer 4x4....

I have been trying to find the mimimum thickness for the rotors, and yes, I've looked all over the rotors trying to find something stamped on any of them; I even took them off so I could see the inside face and there simply isn't anything stamped on any of them.

I've found a vendor's webiste that listed .96", but I'm concernec that isn't specific to each model of the Explorer.'

So if anyone has this info please post for me.

Regards,
Tim
Las Vegas

From the Ford service manual:

Item Specification
Front Disc Brake
Disc brake lining wear limit 1.0 mm (0.039 in)
Disc minimum thickness 26.5 mm (1.03 in)
Disc lateral runout 0.030 mm (0.001 in)

Item Specification
Rear Disc Brake
Disc brake lining wear limit 1.0 mm (0.04 in)
Disc minimum thickness 10.5 mm (0.40 in)
Lateral runout 0.075 mm (0.002 in)

I have a '05 Eddie Buaer 4x4....

I have been trying to find the mimimum thickness for the rotors, and yes, I've looked all over the rotors trying to find something stamped on any of them; I even took them off so I could see the inside face and there simply isn't anything stamped on any of them.

I've found a vendor's webiste that listed .96", but I'm concernec that isn't specific to each model of the Explorer.'

So if anyone has this info please post for me.

Regards,
Tim
Las Vegas

Any shop that turns rotors should be able to tell you the minimum thickness. This is usually driven by safety standards and may vary from state to state.

Back