Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
WASHINGTON, Dec 6 (Reuters) - U.S. highway safety regulators on Wednesday reported another 29 deaths linked to the failure of Firestone tires, bringing to 148 the number of fatalities connected to tread separations and blowouts.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said five of the newly reported deaths involved additional models of Firestone tires not covered by the company's Aug. 9 recall but subject to a Sept 1. NHTSA consumer warning.

Four deaths occurred after Firestone had announced its recall, NHTSA said.

Bridgestone/Firestone Inc., a unit of Japan's Bridgestone Corp. <5108.T>, said it had now replaced 85 percent of the 6.5 million 15-inch ATX and Wilderness tires that it had voluntarily recalled.

"Even so, we know that there are tires still out there on the road," NHTSA Administrator Sue Bailey told reporters at a child seat safety event. "So, unfortunately that may mean there can be additional crashes."

NHTSA continues to investigate whether additional tires have problems but advised consumers in September to consider replacing another 1.4 million Firestone tires going under 24 different names and sizes.

Bailey would not say whether NHTSA would mandate a wider recall.

NHTSA said injuries linked to Firestone tires had risen to more than 525 from more than 500 when it last updated its numbers on Oct. 17.

Total Firestone complaints now stand at more than 4,300, up from more than 3,500. A NHTSA spokesman cautioned, however, that there could be duplicates in the injury and total complaint numbers.

Bridgestone/Firestone said it took seriously each and every incident reported to NHTSA.

"We continue to work diligently toward completion of the recall and to determine the root cause or causes of the problems related to a small percentage of our tires," the company said in a statement.

Most of the tires subject to recall were fitted to Ford Motor Co.'s popular Explorer sport utility vehicle.

Consumer groups, along with auto safety researchers advising lawyers suing Firestone and Ford, have urged NHTSA to expand the recall to include other models of Firestone tires.

Public Citizen President Joan Claybrook, herself a former NHTSA administrator, said Firestone needed to act on these additional tires. "The public is at risk, the number of deaths, -- as we see here -- continues to go up," Claybrook said.

Bridgestone on Tuesday said it would set aside $450 million this year to settle claims against Firestone tires but rejected an estimate by a plaintiffs' lawyer that court-awarded damages could total $50 billion, bankrupting its U.S. unit.

NHTSA last month expanded its tire inquiries to include another manufacturer, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Under investigation are failures of certain light-truck load range "E" tires made by Goodyear that have been linked to 15 deaths and 129 injuries.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

man....why don't they pick on gore and bush for a while, instead of beating this one into the ground? sheesh! hehehe

Originally posted by riffman
man....why don't they pick on gore and bush for a while, instead of beating this one into the ground? sheesh! hehehe

no man i want some new tires!! :)
i have the wildernes AT but i dont have the right serial number. i wish theyd recall all wilderness at's!!!
get a shop to put on 31s and get $100 each tire!! sweet!

I finally got my recall info for the sway bar links and my new door sticker, all in a very nice Ford envelope. Along with a copy of the C/D report, and a nice booklet telling me things about my Explorer I already know.

More than I ever expected from Ford...

editorial on the explorer

I posted this on another thread but it may be of interest here also.

Dead Link Removed

An opinion that echos mine about the situation. FWIW.

Re: editorial on the explorer

Originally posted by SteveVB
FWIW.

Goo?

Re: Re: editorial on the explorer

Goo? [/B][/QUOTE]

Whats Goo? Im missing something.

hahaha...goo is my multipurpose word. It can be used as a question, exclamation, or a statement. observe:

Goo? = huh?
Goo!!! = HOLY COW!!
Goo... = Ah, i see....

so what im asking is what FWIW means.... :D

FWIW

Ah OK, much clearer now. And for you...

F- for
W- what
I- it's
W- worth

ahh...spank you bery much :D

Back